Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Glass Cookware in Smoker?  (Read 14432 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Using Glass Cookware in Smoker?
« on: February 17, 2019, 08:20:43 AM »

I am looking at something to cook a casserole in the smoker, plus serve out of it also.  My wife suggested a glass casserole cookware.  I would think that if it was oven safe it should work.  But she would kill me if it got non-removable stains on it.  Also the recipe calls for an aluminum pan so would the glass one cook the same?
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Using Glass Cookware in Smoker?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 08:35:47 AM »

You may need some elbow grease to clean the glass pan after using in the smoker.  I suspect if the recipe recommends an aluminum pan that the glass pan potentially could take longer to cook as it is thicker and may take longer to heat up than thin aluminum.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 09:18:20 AM »

+1
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 09:40:07 AM »

I think I'd just use a disposable pan.

EDIT:  I'm reconsidering this based on information about aluminum leaching into food in this post.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:10:11 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 09:49:01 AM »

I think I'd just use a disposable pan.

+1

or I use the stainless steel pans that I have
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 09:43:34 PM »

I cooked a meatloaf in a Corningware casserole dish.  The dish came out brown from the smoke but cleaned up pretty easy.

David

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 05:39:43 AM »

I have cooked pies in glass pie pans   wife said they washed up just fine.
Memphis Elite Smoking Brothers 24 in Premier

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 09:32:35 AM »

Clear glass cookware such as Pyrex is thermal shock sensitive, that is it can very easily crack or shatter with a temperature change or extreme heat..Just taking a hot dish out of the oven and placing it on a

cool or cold surface can do it. Some have shattered to the point of resembling an explosion..I use stainless or cast iron cookware and stay away from aluminum..

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 09:52:15 AM »

Clear glass cookware such as Pyrex is thermal shock sensitive, that is it can very easily crack or shatter with a temperature change or extreme heat..Just taking a hot dish out of the oven and placing it on a

cool or cold surface can do it. Some have shattered to the point of resembling an explosion..I use stainless or cast iron cookware and stay away from aluminum..

Happened to my wife a year or so ago.  I think I posted about it on here somewhere.

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 11:58:46 AM »

Happened to my wife a year or so ago.  I think I posted about it on here somewhere.
[/quote]

Me too a few years back.  What CJ says about explosion is pretty accurate from my experience.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 12:05:23 PM »

We should observe Canadian John’s safety drill…avoid extreme temperature changes.  Let hot Pyrex cool to near room temperature on a cooling rack or potholder before washing, refrigerating, or freezing.  Don’t place freezer or refrigerator-cold Pyrex where it will be heated, such as the stovetop or oven.

Southern Living magazine had an article on Pyrex glass a while back that says that old Pyrex (made before 1959 or so) was borosilicate glass and was amazingly resistant to thermal breakage, but somewhat brittle, and the newer formula is tempered soda lime glass.  It’s not nearly as susceptible to breakage from drops or blows and is still thermal shock resistant.  Hmmm, view this with skepticism.

The author says a Pyrex company spokesperson stated that less than one-tenth of one percent of millions of Pyrex goods sold each year result in thermal breakage.  (I don’t know about Pyrex, but I think that other companies have intentionally deceived us.)
Paul

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 01:20:37 PM »

My mom and dad both worked so I was elected to cook for the family when I was 9 or 10. In my 82+ years, I've never had a Pyrex glass dish break from thermos shock. Also, I learned by trial and error to never put a glass dish in the smoker unless you are ready for a substantial clean up effort.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: [1]   Go Up