Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big meal coming up - advice welcomed!  (Read 1125 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Re: Big meal coming up - advice welcomed!
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 08:12:39 AM »

Today is the big meal. I cooked the chicken yesterday. It turned out great (in my humble opinion). I'll be anxious to hear what others have to say. I was able to fit 21 whole chickens on the grill for the first batch. The second batch had 9 chickens, three fatties, and a few rib tips I was experimenting with.

I cut the chicken in pieces last night and will vacuum seal them shortly. Since the bags can be cut to any length I am going to make them the length of a roaster. The plan  for reheating is to boil water and pour it over the bags laying in roasters. I tried this the other day on a small scale in a crock-pot. It seemed to work great. I let it sit in there for over 2 hours just to see what would happen. The chicken was hot, moist and tasted good. The skin was intact and not too badly compromised. We’ll see what happens today.

I have several pictures already and hope to have more to follow. I probably will not be able to post them until tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the help and input!
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 08:15:50 AM »

Sounds like everything is going smoothly and according to plan.  I bet you get a bunch a compliments.  We will be waiting for pics and a final report!

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 06:29:34 PM »

The big question I had when doing the chicken a day early was the best way to reheat it. Went with the vac seal with fairly good results.

I had another obligation when the chicken needed to be started. I gave instructions to a couple of other folks, who did it a little differently than I would have. I wanted the water to be boiling when poured over the chicken in the roaster. They poured hot water, but it was not boiling. It took a longer than anticipated for the chicken to reheat, but it did and it was good.

There was one bag that did not completely seal, so we had one batch reheated in the oven in a covered pan with chicken broath in the bottom. The vac seal chicken was much moister thenthe oven birds. Thumbs up to you Quadman750. Great idea!!
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 06:50:57 PM »

Yeah, if a person has access to vac sealing and boiling water to reheat.  It is by far the best way to reheat any food without drying it out.  Glad the day went well!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up