Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spare rib question.  (Read 324 times)

BC Buck

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Spare rib question.
« on: February 23, 2019, 12:22:56 PM »

Said I was not going to bother wrapping ribs anymore but the spares from Sams tapered to thin past the diaphragm. Smoked 2.5 hours at 250 then wrapped with little butter. One hour later opened and meat temp was 203. Put meat back on grill and sauced bone side up. 1/2 hour later pro still at 250 flipped over and sauced meat side. This is what I not able to explain and has happened every time I wrapped ribs. Ribs internal temp was down to 150 degrees. First couple times thought I had off grill two long taking out of foil. They where off grill maybe two minutes. The only thing I can think is they go back into stall being pulled out of moist climate.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Spare rib question.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 12:26:34 PM »

Why bother taking the temp of ribs?  If you hold them with a tong at one end and they bend they are done.  If you like them falling off the bone, then wait until they break.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 12:54:09 PM »

How long do you think they were at 203°?  I am not sure what the question is?  Are you saying they were tough?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BC Buck

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 02:01:52 PM »

How long do you think they were at 203°?  I am not sure what the question is?  Are you saying they were tough?
Last couple times pulled out of foil at 190 thinking one more hour would put them right in the 203 tender zone.
 Put back on grill,meat temp dropped, ran out of time, and ate tough ribs. This time went from 150 to 203 in 1 hour being wrapped. Pulling out of foil they almost broke in two doing bend test but tightened up nicely and had perfect bite through. My question is how does meat temp drop 50 degree just taking out of foil and placing in 250 degree pit. It has to be the cooling effect of evaporation taking out of foil and ribs being thin.

BC Buck

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »

Why bother taking the temp of ribs?  If you hold them with a tong at one end and they bend they are done.  If you like them falling off the bone, then wait until they break.
Im still experimenting with technique and time frame for ribs. My meat thermometer is helping me learn but will stick with bend test.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 02:18:33 PM »

>thinking one more hour would put them right in the 203 tender zone.

Not sure what tender zone means. Meat gets tender when held at temp over TIME. The higher the temp, the faster the connective tissue breaks down and they get tender. If you cook really hot, they may reach 210F and still not be tender cause they haven't cooked long enough. Conversely, if you cook at 150F for long enough, they'll fall apart. Same is true for brisket, pork shoulder, etc.

>>It has to be the cooling effect of evaporation taking out of foil and ribs being thin.

Absolutely, lots of surface area and not a lot of depth.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 02:54:52 PM »

>thinking one more hour would put them right in the 203 tender zone.

Not sure what tender zone means. Meat gets tender when held at temp over TIME. The higher the temp, the faster the connective tissue breaks down and they get tender. If you cook really hot, they may reach 210F and still not be tender cause they haven't cooked long enough. Conversely, if you cook at 150F for long enough, they'll fall apart. Same is true for brisket, pork shoulder, etc.

>>It has to be the cooling effect of evaporation taking out of foil and ribs being thin.

Absolutely, lots of surface area and not a lot of depth.

This reply is spot-on.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 03:16:13 PM »

Rib meat is about like shoulder if you are in about 1/2 inch for temperature.  If my ribs are at 200° area, they are close to done.  I have never taken ribs out of foil and put on pit and seen a 50° drop, so I have no idea what is happening.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up