Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salmon candy  (Read 2743 times)

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
Salmon candy
« on: September 12, 2017, 06:44:12 PM »

Although I've tried this method on the pellet cooker, I've not been able to reproduce the end product unless done on the electric smoker, which is likely a testament to my inexperience in proper temperature control on the Traeger.  ;D

This was a load of Copper River salmon I did some time ago, and is one of my favorites (friends and family too). I'm using a 1-2-3 method: 1 hour at 100 degrees, 2 hours at 140 degrees, and up to 3 hours at 175 degrees. Wood is alder, and smoke time is two hours. The fish is done when it looks right, and the poke test reveals it is done.

The marinade is very simple:
  • Half Yoshida's Teriyaki Sauce, half soy sauce - volume is enough to thoroughly cover the fish in the bags
  • Red pepper flakes, and black pepper to the level of heat I like

Click the pics to toggle full/normal size

I like to marinade the fish overnight
in plastic storage bags - the osmotic
potential of the marinade draws out
some of the water, which starts fish
preservation as the salt and sugar
infuse the fish.
   A tacky pellicle was allowed to develop
while in the smoker for about 30 minutes.

The fish has that "perfect appearance"
at the beginning of the smoke. Alder pucks
are the wood of choice. Smoke is two hours
in length.
   Here are a few tail pieces - sweet, smoky
(delicate) and savory with the hint of red pepper

PZ

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
Re: Salmon candy
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:54:01 PM »

Wow love it, I have made it before & itdid not last long. :lick:
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:01:15 PM »

So that's what you meant when you wrote that I should try salmon candy.  My reply?  "Yes, I should.  In fact...I will."
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Queball

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:17:30 PM »

Impressive PZ. I have never tasted it but looking at it I'll bet it's tasty. Nicely done, Compadre.

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 12:01:51 AM »

The color is outstanding!!    Hard to beat copper river. :clap:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

pz

• My recipes
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »

Thanks gents  ;)

Copper River is my favorite because it is the easiest to cook (has the perfect fat content) Much of the farmed salmon these days is a fat bomb, and I've not been able to successfully cook it. However, Costco farmed steelhead is quite good - not too much fat.
PZ

Queball

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:21:41 AM »

;)

Much of the farmed salmon these days is a fat bomb.

I'm with you PZ. Unfortunately, wild caught is in the $14.00 range and the farm raised stuff is half that price. But, it's not half as good. .... Is Copper River a local variety you have access to?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:24:44 AM by Queball »

riverrat49

• "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »

Awesome Salmon Candy, for those looking for something a little different from the soy sauce try Tamari it is traditionally tied to the Japanese (vs. the more common Chinese soy sauce). It is a thicker, less salty, fermented soy sauce that contains less wheat (if not any at all depending on the brand, aka “gluten-free”). It can be used in asian and non-asian cooking to add a full, savory, umami flavor to your dishes. Tamari has become a staple in our kitchen.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

pz

• My recipes
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 10:40:51 AM »

I'm with you PZ. Unfortunately, wild caught is in the $14.00 range and the farm raised stuff is half that price. But, it's not half as good. .... Is Copper River a local variety you have access to?

The last batch I did a couple of weeks ago was sockeye at $9.99, and curiously the farmed was the same price. I think Costco's Copper River species is wild Alaskan sockeye, and it was also priced at $9.99, but is seasonal, and I hear the price is also rising. Even at $9.99, it is a relatively rare treat for us.

Awesome Salmon Candy, for those looking for something a little different from the soy sauce try Tamari it is traditionally tied to the Japanese (vs. the more common Chinese soy sauce). It is a thicker, less salty, fermented soy sauce that contains less wheat (if not any at all depending on the brand, aka “gluten-free”). It can be used in asian and non-asian cooking to add a full, savory, umami flavor to your dishes. Tamari has become a staple in our kitchen.

Excellent tip on the Tamari rr49 - I'd never thought of that, but will purchase some to try  :clap:
PZ

Queball

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »

Costso!, A Costco! ..... My kingdom for a Costco!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 03:18:43 PM »

Obviously a beef steak, and beef jerky do not have the same mouth feel, but I have never been put off by jerky being so dry (the desiccated effect).  And maybe without tasting it, I am off base.  I realize this is not a fish jerky (or I do not think that is the purpose), but even with the brine.  I would think that with the amount of time it would take to get the outer part the way it is, the inner flsh would be effected to a point that the mouth feel is not good.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pz

• My recipes
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 03:55:37 PM »

I think you might be surprised at the texture - soft and slightly moist all the way to the core, and does not feel off at all. The color you see on the outside is almost the same all the way through (albeit just under the "smoke ring" is is slightly more pale).

The gradual increase in temperature as the fish smokes is what I think is the key to success with the texture, and it typically does not bring the heavy ribbons of fat to the surface like a hot cook does so the fat stays within the fish and is why it remains moist.
PZ

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 04:25:13 PM »

Excellent analysis! Fat would equate to moisture like texture and that in turn to flaky, which I thought would go out the door.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

dk117

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 04:18:59 PM »

this is a really solid smoked salmon process and looks delicious.    But not what I thought of as salmon candy.   Salmon candy instead of wet brine is dry cured overnight with salt and sugar (brown for me) and other species to taste. 

On the Traeger I like to cook in the cool dawn for 5 plus hours at 130 vs two in an electric.  I've been told I have salmon candy.

Sorry to hijack, I don't have many of my old pictures from PH.   I wanted to ask if I am just getting confused on semantics as our process is quite different?  Next time I get some salmon I'll document the process for pelletfan. 

DK

smokinbandit101

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »

Awesome recipe! I only made a small batch but will definetly be making a bigger batch next time. How do you store this and how long will it last?
Camp Chef Woodwind w/ sear box
Pages: [1]   Go Up