Here's How I.... > Cook Fish and Seafood

Salmon candy

(1/3) > >>

pz:
Although I've tried this method on the pellet cooker, I've not been able to reproduce the end product unless done on the electric smoker, which is likely a testament to my inexperience in proper temperature control on the Traeger.  ;D

This was a load of Copper River salmon I did some time ago, and is one of my favorites (friends and family too). I'm using a 1-2-3 method: 1 hour at 100 degrees, 2 hours at 140 degrees, and up to 3 hours at 175 degrees. Wood is alder, and smoke time is two hours. The fish is done when it looks right, and the poke test reveals it is done.

The marinade is very simple:

* Half Yoshida's Teriyaki Sauce, half soy sauce - volume is enough to thoroughly cover the fish in the bags
* Red pepper flakes, and black pepper to the level of heat I likeClick the pics to toggle full/normal size

I like to marinade the fish overnight
in plastic storage bags - the osmotic
potential of the marinade draws out
some of the water, which starts fish
preservation as the salt and sugar
infuse the fish.   A tacky pellicle was allowed to develop
while in the smoker for about 30 minutes.   The fish has that "perfect appearance"
at the beginning of the smoke. Alder pucks
are the wood of choice. Smoke is two hours
in length.   Here are a few tail pieces - sweet, smoky
(delicate) and savory with the hint of red pepper   

Quadman750:
Wow love it, I have made it before & itdid not last long. :lick:

pmillen:
So that's what you meant when you wrote that I should try salmon candy.  My reply?  "Yes, I should.  In fact...I will."

Queball:
Impressive PZ. I have never tasted it but looking at it I'll bet it's tasty. Nicely done, Compadre.

GREG-B:
The color is outstanding!!    Hard to beat copper river. :clap:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View