Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Chicagolandbiker on 02 Mar 2019
  • Got an email today from Traeger regarding a big announcement for March 15th.  Anyone have any ideas what this could be?
  • #2 by Chokma on 02 Mar 2019
  • I don't know for sure, but doesn't the Ides of March portend betrayal and  death?   :)
  • #3 by Bentley on 02 Mar 2019
  • I don't follow Traeger, but maybe it is their unveiling of their pits with the new motors?
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Mar 2019
  • I don't follow Traeger, but maybe it is their unveiling of their pits with the new motors?

Yep...wifi that syncs to their app and brushless motors is their big announcement for all 2019 models - at least that's what I heard 3rd hand from a text a dealer sent someone I know..."game changer" was how it was phrased...haha

another example of over selling features of a grill to people who have not been around the block before
  • #5 by ArborAgent on 07 Mar 2019
  • Why do I want a brushless motor?
  • #6 by Canadian John on 08 Mar 2019

•  The motors we all use are "shaded pole", brushless motors.. What the new Traeger motors are DC or ECM motors that are more efficient and infinitely controllable, RPM wise..We'll have to wait and see what

the sales pitch is..The cost (motor) is more and the power saving % wise is more as well. Say 30% of 30 Watts for each motor - not  much of a true  saving power wise.
  • #7 by pmillen on 08 Mar 2019
  • For several years I didn’t hold the Traeger products in very high regard.   I thought that they didn’t innovate and produced boring, low-end smokers.  Every competitor passed them by.

Then, Jeremy Andrus bought the company in 2017.  Like a couple of other manufacturers, they’ve upped their game considerably.  Now, their pits are quite nice.

BTW, I also think that several manufacturers are resting on their laurels and are rapidly falling behind the improving pits.

This reinforces my desire for continuing Bentley's performance evaluations.
  • #8 by Bentley on 08 Mar 2019
  • I would love to, but no one is interested...or I am despises in the industry and they choose not to...take your pick!

• #9 by yorkdude on 08 Mar 2019
  • I would love to, but no one is interested...or I am despises in the industry and they choose not to...take your pick!

I highly doubt it has to do with anyone despising you, I bet you are thought of quite highly by most. People who are familiar with pellet grills, especially manufacturers are no doubt quite aware of who you are. I wonder if it could be more of a slight fear of an unbiased opinion . Truly have no idea but it could have some credence. 
  • #10 by Chicagolandbiker on 15 Mar 2019
  • Just wanted to update this post with the big announcement.  As mentioned by others new motor and wifi (D2 Direct Drive and WiFire Technology). 
  • #11 by okie smokie on 15 Mar 2019

Went to their web page and it now shows the whole line with comparison sheet.  The new Proline and Timberline series are quite impressive.  The Timberline has both the DC motor, the new WiFi controller which appears to be PID? and is double walled with stainless steel inside plus SS grills grates.  They do not mention ceramic starter, or whether there is open flame adaptation.  Top temp is 500 on both those series, and 450 for the lesser models. There is pellet clean out on most models.  Grease pan is hidden on the Timberlines and they are $1700 and $1900 for the two sizes. No mention of outer steel coatings, or thickness gauge. Here is a performance test off of You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vzE-OVvXuE

• #12 by glitchy on 16 Mar 2019
  • The Ironwood might be the best bang for the buck starting at $1199 with WiFire, D2 auger, and double walled. What don’t you get in comparison to the Timberline? A cutting board, stainless interior and grates, one more shelf, and hidden grease collection is what I see. If I were in the market, probably not worth $600 more to me for Timberline, but nice upgrades over pro models with the double walled and more space. I might think differently if I made jerky or 12 rack of ribs at a time.

Curious on their WiFi stability/reliability compared to others?
  • #13 by pmillen on 16 Mar 2019
  • They do not mention ceramic starter, or whether there is open flame adaptation.

There was a large Traeger display and one salesperson at my Costco last weekend.  The salesman said that Traeger isn't offering a direct flame zone because they don't want grease in the bottom of their pits.
  • #14 by okie smokie on 16 Mar 2019
  • They do not mention ceramic starter, or whether there is open flame adaptation.

There was a large Traeger display and one salesperson at my Costco last weekend.  The salesman said that Traeger isn't offering a direct flame zone because they don't want grease in the bottom of their pits.

Works for me.  I do just fine with my GS at 500* with GrillGrates.  I've wondered about how much grease finally accumulates in the firebox area of those pits with exposed fire pit.  In particular the PG500 and PG1000 and whether they are prone to grease fires?
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Mar 2019

Works for me.  I do just fine with my GS at 500* with GrillGrates.  I've wondered about how much grease finally accumulates in the firebox area of those pits with exposed fire pit.  In particular the PG500 and PG1000 and whether they are prone to grease fires?

I would think that the PG grills are least prone to grease fires because it is so hot right over the firepot that the grease disappears.  I'm sure those that have one would share their real life stories.
Pages:
Actions