Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by SmokinHandyman on 02 Mar 2019
  • Any of you tried them anywhere?
    My local butcher has some he made.
    I am gonna give the a try.
  • #2 by Bentley on 02 Mar 2019
  • I had a Gator Boudin Sausage in Breaux Bridge, LA.  To much rice for me and not much flavor to be honest with you.  But you are talking a whole different sausage profile...

So to answer your question, no.

• #3 by hughver on 03 Mar 2019
  • Outside of us Cajuns, I'll bet that there are not many people here that have been to Breaux Bridge. When in college, we often went there dancing and ate crawfish, no alligator.
  • #4 by Bentley on 03 Mar 2019
  • I don't mean to steal this thread...but...I thought I knew what boudin was, till I ordered those balls.  They do not mess around down there, you expect ground shoulder, it had to be 50% pig liver and I mean to tell you, the flavor, the taste was like biting into a piece of tin.  Most metallic flavor I have ever tasted, knew right then, real Cajun boudin not for me!  At least not Boudin Balls!

Had to be a horrible son and make my mom eat them!
  • #5 by Darwin on 03 Mar 2019
  • I like alligator, but I would not pay silly prices for it.  Give one a try and let us know what you think.
    Boudin recipes are all over the map, many have too much rice, liver, spice, onions...  If your ever in the area again try Best Stop in Scott, they make my favorite boudin.  It's just to the west of Lafayette and north of the I10.  I used to swing out there when I was visiting family and I could load up an ice chest for the flight back home.
    This thread reminds me that I haven't had frog legs in like 20 years...  Now I'm a bit home sick. 
  • #6 by Bobitis on 03 Mar 2019
  • I do like gator. I really do. But the price is absurd for something that tastes like chicken.

I've never had a chicken sausage and don't think I'd ever buy one.  ::)
  • #7 by SmokinHandyman on 03 Mar 2019
  • They are selling for $8.99 per pound.
    I have not bought any yet and probably won't.
  • #8 by Bentley on 03 Mar 2019
  • I would get them!  What would be interesting is to see if they taste like a regular $4/lb Brat...Then you are done buying them.  We can't get stuff like this in Mayberry.

They are selling for $8.99 per pound.
    I have not bought any yet and probably won't.
  • #9 by Bentley on 03 Mar 2019
  • I make a mean apple/cinnamon chicken sausage, great sausage for breakfast.  If you ever get a chance to try some, I think you would like it, assuming you like a breakfast type sausage.

I've never had a chicken sausage and don't think I'd ever buy one.  ::)
  • #10 by RWhyman on 03 Mar 2019
  • Outside of us Cajuns, I'll bet that there are not many people here that have been to Breaux Bridge. When in college, we often went there dancing and ate crawfish, no alligator.

My wife and I have been to Breaux Bridge a few times and are heading down there in a week on our way to Larose for a blues fest. Then back again in a month for Cycle Zydeco which starts in Lafayette and goes through Breaux Bridge as well as many other of the small towns in the area. It's hard to beat the food and the music down there.

By the way, some of the best boudin is sold out of gas stations in the little towns. Also some great local meat markets. We always fill the freezer in the camper with andouille, boudin, tasso, crawfish and whatever else looks good before we head back to Colorado.

:cool:
Pages:
Actions