Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Clonesmoker on 05 Mar 2019
  • After seeing the thread on cold and warm smoking bacon, I tried my hand on curing a 10.7 lb pork loin. I use the iSmokeHog's cure calculator to get my the right ratios.  I did go with 165 ppm on the prague powder though and went to around a 3.5 on salt. I used 2 oz of the dark brown sugar and maple syrup. I cut the loin into thirds and rubbed with the dry portion and added about 1/4 cup of maple syrup to each section. Vac sealed, but did not do a complete vac on them to leave some air in each bag. I went with a little higher salt since it was Kosher salt and with the addition of the maple syrup I figured it would balance it out more. So nothing was quite exact, as most of my measurements are when cooking (never made the same dry BBQ rub, always change ingredients an measurements each time I use make it).

Seven days in the fridge, turning each day. Wash and let it form a pellicle on the 8th day, roughly 30 hours in the fridge.  Temps here in Iowa were hovering right around zero with negative windchill. GMG DB was spot on side to side temp wise at 150 degrees.  Five hours of smoke and the internal temp was at 140. Back in the fridge overnight and the finished product. I can really tell get a sweet, smokey, and salt flavor. I was very pleased with it. Used Lumberjack Competition Blend pellets. The last time I did this I used the amazing tube for more smoke and it seemed to overpower the smoke flavor.  Next up I need to try plain old pork belly into bacon!

• #2 by LowSlowJoe on 05 Mar 2019
  • Ah, you have reminded me that I have a pork loin in my fridge that needs to be cured...
  • #3 by hughver on 05 Mar 2019
  • "I went with a little higher salt since it was Kosher salt"

If you used weight measurement, the amount of sodium chloride is the same for kosher as other salts. I you used volume, more kosher is justified since most kosher salt is lighter.  :2cents:
  • #4 by Clonesmoker on 05 Mar 2019
  • "I went with a little higher salt since it was Kosher salt"

If you used weight measurement, the amount of sodium chloride is the same for kosher as other salts. I you used volume, more kosher is justified since most kosher salt is lighter.  :2cents:

I used volume on the kosher salt. I knew I would probably would need to increase it a bit.
  • #5 by pmillen on 05 Mar 2019
  • ... most kosher salt is lighter.

Well, yes and no.  (It sounds as though I have trouble making decisions.   :) )

They are, basically, sodium chloride, and are, therefore, the same weight.  But the shape of the salt grains is different so they pack into a container differently.  Since the kosher salt grains settle in a measuring cup differently than the table salt grains, you can't use the same volume if you switch salt type.  Any volume of table salt weighs about 25% more than the same volume of kosher salt.

So, kosher salt in and of itself isn't lighter, but it's lighter than an equal volume of table salt.

(I know you knew that.  I was thinking that some other readers may not.)
  • #6 by hughver on 05 Mar 2019
  • Sorry, you are right, I should have said lighter than the same volume of regular salt.   ::)
Pages:
Actions