Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinese made Memphis coming soon?  (Read 1235 times)

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
Chinese made Memphis coming soon?
« on: March 05, 2019, 12:08:52 PM »

Anyone heard this? or backup the authenticity of this letter ?

If true, either the price better come down... or , well I'll have less reason to lust for a Memphis grill from now on.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Chinese made Memphis coming soon?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 01:43:37 PM »

Oh no, not Memphis.

glitchy

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 01:45:38 PM »

I feel similarly, I'd really struggle to spend anywhere near what I did on a Chinese made grill (and I didn't pay close to retail). Not sure what to think about this. Maybe the American made Memphis grills will become sought after collectors items :D I probably better clean mine up and put it under a cover in the garage just in case.

My initial thought on this is drastic disappointment. I really struggled with dropping this much dime on a grill and supporting a good American product was definitely a huge factor in swaying me to pull the trigger.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 02:55:27 PM »

Since I saw that , I have been shown another thing from BBQ Guys that implied that the cost of the Memphis has gone up too.

Higher price and made in China , would seem to be bad for business.   

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 03:17:02 PM »

Since I saw that , I have been shown another thing from BBQ Guys that implied that the cost of the Memphis has gone up too.

Higher price and made in China , would seem to be bad for business.

Companies that want to expand their sales, expand into China.  It's the world's largest market.  There are more people in China who can afford a BMW than there are total people in the US.  You may as well make your product in China if most of your sales are going to be in China.

The Cadillac CT6 plug-in hybrid will be made in China and most of the production will be sold there.  As many as GM can sell here will be imported.

For the most part, if we buy something it's only available to us because no one in China wants it.  After all, if it's made there it's easier to sell it there.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

ArborAgent

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 04:00:56 PM »

They're going to want to change their website:
https://memphisgrills.com/made-in-usa/

Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 08:15:47 AM »

Donald Trump would not like this.

glitchy

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 10:40:13 AM »

I'm beginning to wonder if this has anything to do with the upcoming announcements from Traeger? Just trying to figure out why a company that really touts "Made in USA" as a selling point would move production to China. Anyone think it's possible that Dalsin sold the Memphis line off to Traeger (or someone else)?
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 12:20:53 PM »

I think people sometimes read too much into these things. They have a business to run that I believe is way bigger than their grill business.  What was probably a hobby in building grills has turned into a stable business that they want to not interfere with their bread and butter business but also want to make more profitable.  Nothing different than probably millions of other companies have done.  I know I am different than others on here, but I don't care where a grill is made.  The only thing I care about is that it works when I want it to, I get the help I need when I need it, and that I think I am getting a good value for what I paid for the equipment.  If I am not comfortable with any of that or I think I can't afford it, I don't buy it.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

glitchy

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 12:53:41 PM »

I don't know that anyone is reading too much into it, it's fun to speculate about it.

I agree for the most part with you that I generally do not care where things are made as long as they are good quality and the appropriate cost to value ratio exists. I think you could very well be right on the hobby part of their much larger business. However, they really push the "Made in USA" for both Dalsin and Memphis, so it's strange that they would source overseas to make it more profitable. It just doesn't fit the mantra of their values...but I suppose that could be said of all the US companies before they jump ship. Shipping to Chinese manufacturing does devalue the product some instead of making it worth more like is rumored the prices are doing...Today the Elite shows $5499 on their site. It seems like it was $4799 last year around this time. Another several hundred dollar increase? Anyone else remember recent pricing? I might not be remembering correctly.

As well, the first line of the product description from the Memphis Elite page: "Big, bold, and made in the USA, this wood pellet grill is the ultimate addition to any outdoor kitchen."

ArborAgent

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 12:55:11 PM »

I'm hoping this leads to more models. I'd like an elite that's double tall, entirely in 304 SS. I care less where it's made if I could get that.
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 01:12:53 PM »

I would think prices would come down, but I might be naive...They might feel that they have established their brand and as long as it is of the same quality, we see no reason to discount it.  You would have to tell me the percentage of people who will not buy foreign goods?  Hey this (may after I PM the Member who started it) turn into a poll thread...

Maybe not, I am like Lew in regards to how well does it work.  Some people make fun of equipment from Harbor Freight, pretty sure 90% of their products are not made in the US.  Are there better products, yes, am I will to pay 3 times the amount for them, when the 1/3 price product meets my needs, no.

What would worry me, and it seems like I have seen it with several brands in the past...do look a like Memphis Pros start coming out of the back of the factory and make it to ali baba.com...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:03:18 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Ross77

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 10:21:00 PM »

So it will be like an Apple product.  The label will say "Designed by Memphis in Minnesota.  Assembled in China."   ;)

That said, companies can make quality products in China.  I"ll be curious to see if they lower prices.

Labor costs are pretty high in the Minneapolis area.  I'm surprised they were able to hold out for this long.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 07:30:24 AM »

I'm not intimately familiar with the company that makes Memphis grills.  What is their main business if it's not grills?

Ross77

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 07:43:23 AM »

I'm not intimately familiar with the company that makes Memphis grills.  What is their main business if it's not grills?

Sheet metal fabrication.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up