Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just don’t get it  (Read 481 times)

KeithG

• Using less gas.
I just don’t get it
« on: March 14, 2019, 09:54:42 AM »

One of our local supermarkets has corned beef brisket flats for $3.99/#. The brand is Buckley Farms and we have bought them for years and they are delicious. I don’t get how they can sell them for that when the going price locally for a brisket flat is $7.99/# or more. And I have a tough time finding a brisket with as much lean meat as the Buckley Farms ones have. I know they are out there somewhere, I just don’t know where to find them. Liberty Diner in the Catskills cures their own briskets for their corned beef and pastrami as well as serving brisket and brisket sandwiches. All are delicious. Their briskets have a good 3.5-4” of solid meat with a 1/4” fat cap. Where do they come from? This is a rhetorical question but I have never found ant like them. I usually look if I see briskets in a case. Most of what have found have about a 1” layer of meat, a layer of fat, another narrower layer of meat, then the fat cap. Not something I really want.
RecTec RT-680, WSM 18, MES30, Weber Genesis

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: I just don’t get it
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 10:18:34 AM »

Our local market is selling the corned beef point for $1.68 per pound and the flat for $2.47 per pound.  Vac sealed.  We are stocking up!!!  Don't know how they sell at that price when they sell brisket at $7.99 per pound.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 01:39:06 PM »

First off, prices that low are loss leaders, designed to get you into the store and buy other stuff. Next, remember that corned beef contains around 35% solution added. So a 5lb corned beef is really only about 3.25 lbs of meat.

As for why the OP can't find lean flats, I have no idea. Around here, flats are usually trimmed of all the fat cap and have hardly any internal fat. It sounds like what you are seeing is not a true flat, but a brisket cut in half so it has part of the point attached to the flat and has the layer of fat running between. I've never seen them sold commercially like that.

I'd suggest getting a full packer and separating it yourself. You'll end up with a lean flat you can use for corned beef. The point can be ground into some of the best burgers, or use for burnt ends.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:11:37 PM by bregent »

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 01:46:35 AM »

My market sells rib roasts every holiday for $4.99/pound. They go up over $10/pound after the holiday.

I love loss leaders. Time to cook some corned beef and cabbage.

Ralphie

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 11:40:22 AM »

I have a whole packer corned beef brisket that is vacuum sealed and frozen since March of last year.  The vacuum seal is tight with no air pockets. 

Any reason to think it won't be ok?
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »

I have gone 6 + months plenty of time, never had a problem.
I would not hesitate to try it, others will chime in and I bet it isn't that uncommon.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »

I have a whole packer corned beef brisket that is vacuum sealed and frozen since March of last year.  The vacuum seal is tight with no air pockets. 

Any reason to think it won't be ok?

It should be fine.  I've eaten stuff frozen for probably 2 years.  As long as package is sealed good and there is not a significant portion of freezer burn there shouldn't be an issue.  And freezer burn could be trimmed off.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1]   Go Up