Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 16 Mar 2019
  • Have a diesel tractor.  It appears I have water in my fuel.  Not sure if it is just the current tank, although that does not really make sense.  Yet I am on my 2nd 100 gallon fill up with my diesel storage tanks, so not sure why this would manifest after 18 months.

My uncles had a 100 gallon tank that sat for may years in their hanger, I did not realize that they still had about 25 gallons in it when I ask if I could have it.  This is at a minimum a 50 year old tank.  So yes, I was apprehensive.  This was about Summer of 2017.  I used up that 25, pumping about a gallon into a clear container to see if there was water or particulate matter.  After letting it sit for 24 hours, nothing.  So I went and put 96 gallons in it and moved it to just outside the tractor shed.  This was Dec of 2017.  I just put another 100 in it last month and am having a lot of water collecting at the bottom of the tractor fuel filter.  I am starting to wonder if it sitting uncovered outside for the lat 18 months is the issue, just now realizing it was on the edge, but it was under the hanger.

Anyone know how to, or if there are any affordable filtration systems that a person can run 75 gallons of diesel through that will remove water?  I have added this to both the tractor tank, and the diesel tank!

All suggestion are appreciated!

• #2 by Bentley on 16 Mar 2019
  • I think I found the answer!  If this thing works like the youtube videos, it is a go.  Flo Tool F3C "Mr Funnel"...
  • #3 by GREG-B on 16 Mar 2019
  • Am curious how this works.   Please keep us appraised.  Pretty impressive video.
  • #4 by Bentley on 16 Mar 2019
  • If I can find one of these in Mayberry and not have to order it online, I think I will drain the tractor tank tomorrow through it, and then just start using this thing every time I put gas in.  Guess I will start using it when I add gas to everything!  Will be interested to see if a bunch of water comes out of the tractor tank and the diesel tank in the future!
  • #5 by hughver on 17 Mar 2019
  • There several people in our yacht club that use a device similar to this for fuel polishing. http://www.diesel-fuels.com/diesel-fuel-tank/portable-tank-cleaning-system.php
  • #6 by Bentley on 17 Mar 2019
  • If I had an extra $1500  that would be the ideal way to go!
  • #7 by Brushpopper on 17 Mar 2019
  • I worked in a diesel injection shop rebuilding injection pumps and injectors for nine years in my misspent youth.  We sold an aftermarket filter made by Racor that had a clear bowl so you can see if water accumulates and then drain it accordingly.  I'm sure they make a bigger version to put on a tank.  It was the best filter on the market in the late eighties and nineties.  Not sure about these days.
  • #8 by smokin soon on 17 Mar 2019
  • In the Diesels I have owned, draining the fuel/water separator was part of normal maintenance. Is yours a decent capacity and easy to drain?
  • #9 by Bentley on 17 Mar 2019
  • My uncle ask me the same question, to the best of my knowledge there is not one on the tractor...The bottom 1/3 of the fuel filter was water this morning, scary!  I dumped it today, will see if there is more accumulation tomorrow.  It fired up as well as it has for the last 5 years...It ran all day today with zero issues.  I ordered the Mr Funnel from Amazon and it will be here the end of the week.  Will be happy to get this tanks fuel spent and start using the Mr Funnel from here on out!
  • #10 by smokin soon on 17 Mar 2019
  • The Mr. Funnel looks fine for a sediment filter, but I can't see it being any help for water. Do your storage tanks have any bottom drains or petcocks? 
  • #11 by Bentley on 17 Mar 2019
  • It sure appears to work in the 3rd party videos I have watched.  Something to do with crude oil based fuels being able to pass through and water not.  I never checked the tank, it might, but it has always sat flat on the ground, so I doubt it.

Will have the Mr Funnel at the end of the week, so it will be interesting to see.  I wish I had see it before I add the additive to the diesel, as I now believe its purpose is to incorporate the water into the fuel so it burns, I learned in my research, you don't "remove" water by adding something to the tank to late!

The Mr. Funnel looks fine for a sediment filter, but I can't see it being any help for water. Do your storage tanks have any bottom drains or petcocks?
Pages:
Actions