Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by riverrat49 on 13 Sep 2017
  • Welcome to the Forum Chris_M, glad to see you make the trip here... (RAF Alconbury 84-88)
  • #17 by Chris__M on 13 Sep 2017
  • So more questions...is pellet heating available over there?  If so, the infrastructure is there for the pellets.  Is there anyone making them there or the continent?

I'm loving this. Pellet heating is available over here, but I am not sure it is as big as in the US. It is becoming a more common solution for communities not on mains gas, where previously they would have had gas delivered. It is also becoming more popular because of the perceived green factor (yes, you're burning wood, but more wood is being planted to replace it), and economies.

So pellets are being made in the UK, and also come across from Europe (although that may all change!  ??? ).

But it hasn't crossed over to food-grade pellets here, I don't think. Over the past few years, I have come across a couple of local sources of pellets for grills, but then they seemed to disappear.

So I buy my pellets from the American BBQ Company, who sell grills from Cookshack/Fast Eddy's and GMG. On the pellet front, they sell Cookshack, GMG and Lumber Jack, and a reasonable range, too. The other company I used to deal with is Liverpool Wood Pellets, who are one of the major suppliers of heating pellets over here. They used to import Lil Devils, which I quite liked and were relatively cheap. But they stopped selling them a while back.

I am also aware of a company that represents Lousiana Grills and stock their range of pellets. But they don't provide for any way to buy them online, it appears to be a "contact us for sales". If a company doesn't make it easy to do business with them, I tend not to get around to it.
  • #18 by Chris__M on 13 Sep 2017
  • Welcome to the Forum Chris_M, glad to see you make the trip here... (RAF Alconbury 84-88)

Hi, almost-neighbour.

You just reminded me of an even earlier experience of American BBQ that impressed me. Going back a couple of decades, I had a girlfriend who was really into airshows. Of course, where there were American airmen, there were usually cookouts, and while she nerded over the hardware, I got heavily into the food.  That was probably my first Wurst! ;D
  • #19 by riverrat49 on 13 Sep 2017
  • Very first BBQ I ever built myself was a brick one, We bought our materials from the Texas DIY shop, somewhere around here I've still got their BBQ Book  :cool:

Welcome to the Forum Chris_M, glad to see you make the trip here... (RAF Alconbury 84-88)

Hi, almost-neighbour.

You just reminded me of an even earlier experience of American BBQ that impressed me. Going back a couple of decades, I had a girlfriend who was really into airshows. Of course, where there were American airmen, there were usually cookouts, and while she nerded over the hardware, I got heavily into the food.  That was probably my first Wurst! ;D
  • #20 by GrillinGlen on 13 Sep 2017
  • You mentioned the southern coast, my oldest son and his spouse live in Bournemouth (sp?) Been there a couple years, his spouse works for Xerox which is headquartered there.  They really like it there, I would like to visit one day
  • #21 by Chris__M on 13 Sep 2017
  • You mentioned the southern coast, my oldest son and his spouse live in Bournemouth (sp?) Been there a couple years, his spouse works for Xerox which is headquartered there.  They really like it there, I would like to visit one day

Same coast, Bournemouth is a couple of hours drive from Brighton, not far at all. Brighton is a bit active, known as a kind of "London by the Sea". Bournemouth is a bit more sedate.
  • #22 by Bentley on 13 Sep 2017
  • I confused UK with Commonwealth at the time, so I am glad I did not try and elaborate on that! And I will try and let it go with this...My fathers family is of Welsh decent...But is a Scot going to call himself a Brit?
  • #23 by Chris__M on 13 Sep 2017
  • I confused UK with Commonwealth at the time, so I am glad I did not try and elaborate on that! And I will try and let it go with this...My fathers family is of Welsh decent...But is a Scot going to call himself a Brit?

I'd have to ask friends. :)

I'd be tempted to ask "Would that be a lowlands Scot, or a highlands Scot?"
  • #24 by Chris__M on 13 Sep 2017
  • There used to be a running gag about Andy Murray, the tennis player.

Whenever he got knocked out of a contest, the (English) media would report it along the lines of "The Scots player was knocked out in the semi final of the tournament."

When he was successful, it would be "British tennis star, Andy Murray ... "

However, a lingistics student actually made this the subject of his dissertation, and reached the conclusion that Scottish newspapers referred to Murray as Scottish twice as frequently as they referred to him as British; In the English national press, broadsheets (quality press) tended to refer to Murray as Scottish, while the tabloids called him British.

So shame it wasn't true, but it was a good joke.
  • #25 by Quadman750 on 13 Sep 2017
  • Welcome to the forum Chris, you have a great setup
  • #26 by triplebq on 13 Sep 2017
  • Welcome to the group
  • #27 by InThePitBBQ on 19 Sep 2017
  • Hi Chris, welcome from Indiana!
    • InThePitBBQ
  • #28 by tommo666 on 19 Sep 2017
  • Hi Chris,
    Thanks for the link, welcome from Essex :)
  • #29 by ZCZ on 19 Sep 2017
  • Greetings from Minnesota, USA!

I had the pleasure of studying in Oxford one quarter back in 1975 as part of my college's foreign studies program.  A great experience as you might expect.  Got to see lots of the surrounding area as well.

Welcome friend!

Z
  • #30 by Jcorwin818 on 19 Sep 2017
  • Greetings from Kansas City Chris and welcome back.  Glad you found us and looking forward to your input.
Pages:
Actions