Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Short RTD Probe  (Read 599 times)

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Short RTD Probe
« on: March 26, 2019, 02:08:02 PM »

Traeger seems to be cutting over to short RTD probes that are about 3" long.  I noted this while visiting the Traeger roadshow stand at my local Costco yesterday.  The guy running the stand said that Traeger worked with Thermoworks to develop them.  I never could understand why the old fire pot based pellet grills seemed to mostly use the long 7" RTD probes. 

Does anyone else know anything more about the new short RTD probes?

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Short RTD Probe
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 04:28:53 PM »

Sorry to hijack your thread, but did they have any of the new D2/WiFire models in the Roadshow? Trying to figure out if it might be worth a roadtrip anywhere for a new Pro 575 or not since they don't appear to be hitting my local warehouse this spring pass through. Related to your thread, I had noticed that the new probes where considerably shorter but hadn't really thought about it...what's different is rather than up along the side of the barrel, they now have them pointed into the chamber...but they are really short now that you've pointed it out.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 06:45:33 PM »

I do not know who makes theirs, but MAK and Memphis have been using "short" probes for quite a while.

Interesting as they seem to be the two closest to controller temp versus probe temp on grill grate based on my experience of 5 different manufacturer units.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

JoeGrilling

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 09:06:28 PM »

Sorry to hijack your thread, but did they have any of the new D2/WiFire models in the Roadshow? Trying to figure out if it might be worth a roadtrip anywhere for a new Pro 575 or not since they don't appear to be hitting my local warehouse this spring pass through. Related to your thread, I had noticed that the new probes where considerably shorter but hadn't really thought about it...what's different is rather than up along the side of the barrel, they now have them pointed into the chamber...but they are really short now that you've pointed it out.

They did not have the new units.  We chatted briefly about the new units and he did mention the new DC auger is 2 RPM to get up to temperature faster.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 09:27:46 AM »

When installing an Ortec controller as an update in a Traeger, a shorter RTD is supplied..Length has little to do with RTD operation rather its location in the pit.

JoeGrilling

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 02:56:55 PM »

One other note.  The fellow in the store said that the probe is a thermocouple based and not a true RTD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up