Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 28 Inch Blackstone.  (Read 480 times)

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
28 Inch Blackstone.
« on: March 27, 2019, 06:23:30 PM »

After many years of traveling, Weekend camping, (With the GMG DC) My Bride & I have found a campground we like & have decided to go seasonal. A nice small campground 40 minutes from home. No more dragging & setting up the DC. It has one more trip. Which will be to the site.

Since theirs a GR8 possibility we will have 1 to 3 GKids with us I decided to add a 28 inch Blackstone to my outdoor cooking arsenal to compliment the DC. I wanted the 28 inch because of the cart with wheels & the large propane tank.

I'm pretty excited about this new cooking adventure. Camping season is right around the corner here in Wisconsin. Any Tips & tricks I should be aware of?
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Re: 28 Inch Blackstone.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 07:57:15 PM »

Just enjoy it is all I can think of.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 08:46:12 PM »

Such a versatile piece of cooking equipment.  Nothing in the kitchen will do a breakfast like you can on a griddle.  Burgers, Cheese steaks, Tepanyaki....
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 10:38:59 PM »

I just sold mine last weekend. I liked it but just didn’t really use it. I’m not a camper so didn’t benefit from the giant portable skillet part of it like you will enjoy. Flaxseed oil is good for seasoning, seems to stick well. Might have to get from your organic section. If the grease tray is on the front, manufacture something to make sure grease hits the grease pan (a soup can propped in or some foil are things I did) and tie a rag to the leg low enough it won’t catch fire, but catches grease that makes it by. If it’s on the back you got the new improved model. If you’ve never cooked burgers on one, make them wider and flatter than you think as they’ll puff up if you don’t use a press. That’s about the extent of my Blackstone experience. Seems like great quality to price ratio though.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Just David

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 11:52:17 PM »

I love my 28".  I initially bought the 28 and the 17 thinking that would be more versatile than buying the 36". I liked them so much that I bought a 22" and moved the 17" to the camper. Getting a Blackstone reminded me of getting a pellet grill for the first time - it made cooking even more fun that it already was.

And I never dreamed smashburgers would be as good as they are.
Masterbuilt XL pellet smoker, Traeger tailgater

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 07:26:20 AM »

Since I don't do the camping routine, I don't own a large grill for frying. I prefer the patio for cooking.
So that peeks at the issue. If I had one on the patio, wouldn't I be splashing the sizzling grease on to the patio surface?

Maybe I'n a little goofey on this, but the promotional photos show a grill chocked full of food (good) but I'm thinkin the mess wouldn't be worth it.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

mo-kid

• Using less gas.
  • I get by with a little help from my friends.....
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »

good for you SB!! Just enjoy the time spent with good food and family! Nothing better than that my friend.  :clap:
GMC daniel boone; frog mats, grill grates, SS griddle,

Lothar1974

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Never trust a skinny chef
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 04:57:22 PM »

You'll love it. I have the 36 inch and use it all the time.  Weekend breakfast is so easy now and can get it done all at once!
Memphis Elite MES40 1st Gen MES40 2.5 Gen Blackstone 36' Griddle

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 05:43:55 PM »

Thanks for all the kind words! it may be a couple weeks before I get it out to the campground as I need to get a shed to put it in @ my site. I have it assembled with the exception of putting the griddle top on it. I figure it will be easier to transport with the griddle top off.

I did do the research on this before buying. This is a newer model with the grease pail in the center back. I didn't want to stand by the pail in the front.
It does seem that flax seed oil is highly recommended for seasoning so I will ad that to the must have list.

Thanks for the smashburger tip. After it was mentioned I You Tubed it.

I have a small griddle I've used on the DC for years. Space was very limited. Looking forward to this new adventure!
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

RSNovi

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 08:26:36 PM »

Menards had/had the 36” stainless steel frame version on sale for $220.  I picked one up and am waiting for the weather to warm to setup.
Cookshack PG500 Cookshack SM025 Blackstone 36

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »

For Canadians - The 28" Blackstone is on sale @ Home Hardware.. I didn't know they sold them until today.

rdsbucks

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • "Everything rises and falls with leadership." -JM
    • I'm a leader in Dr. John Maxwell's foundation.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 10:44:00 AM »

One thing about camping that can be an issue with a griddle is finding level ground. So you may want to have a few small boards with you to use for leveling.
Fast Eddy's Cookshack PG 500 Pit Barrel Cooker Traeger Tailgater
Pages: [1]   Go Up