Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Glitchy’s new D2 Pro 575  (Read 4086 times)

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Glitchy’s new D2 Pro 575
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 11:32:55 AM »

Here’s the new pit probe
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

glitchy

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 11:34:40 AM »

I’m really digging the cheapest new feature they added.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 11:37:01 AM by glitchy »
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

glitchy

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 11:40:35 AM »

The inside of the Pro looks just like the Ironwood that Okie posted last week minus the sidewalls and downdraft.

glitchy

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 11:43:59 AM »

Super exciting, here’s the inside of a pellet hopper. I had one extra part left after assembly, not quite sure where it goes. Hope it doesn’t affect cooking performance.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 11:46:30 AM by glitchy »

glitchy

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2019, 10:07:24 PM »

Alight, did a graph before and during first cook. Going to have to work through some stuff. Temps are a little off on lower settings and way off on higher. Cooked some bacon, then some big burgers to eat it on. In the graph temps were 170, 225, 300, 400, 450.

glitchy

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 10:25:53 PM »

Finished product.

glitchy

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2019, 01:07:58 PM »

Running another test today to have data to send to Traeger. I'll post my Fireboard session later on when the test is done.

Summary so far:
1. Heats up faster than any other pellet pooper I've owned
2. Temps are far more stable than my previous 2 Traegers
3. Construction seems more refined. Metal is not heavier, but design has been more refined

Problem:
Temps are way off at higher temps

I put in the upper shelf and mounted my Fireboard probe to that for the test. Less than two inches from the Traeger pit probe.

glitchy

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2019, 01:48:42 PM »

Here’s the graph, 250-350-450 were grill settings. Way off at 350 and 450.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:50:14 PM by glitchy »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2019, 02:19:00 PM »

I don't know if I would be concerned about that.  Place the temp probe on the grill grate and see how far it is off from the controller.  That is the real test for me.  Once I know how far it is off, I adjust the controller to get to the grill grate temp I desire.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

glitchy

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2019, 02:35:57 PM »

I don't know if I would be concerned about that.  Place the temp probe on the grill grate and see how far it is off from the controller.  That is the real test for me.  Once I know how far it is off, I adjust the controller to get to the grill grate temp I desire.

Except it took me 90 minutes to ‘grill’ a package of bacon and some burgers starting at a set temp of 400 then moving to 450 after I saw how far off it was. The charts are posted of temps at the grate a few posts back showing the same discrepancy. If Traeger advertises you can smoke, bake and grill, the pit needs to be able to get to 400-450 degrees.

I bought this mostly for extra smoking capacity and smoking greasier cuts, but also want to be able to grill some burgers or chicken breasts for lunch if the Memphis is smoking something for dinner or to be able to ‘bake’ some bread and potatoes to go with whatever is on the Memphis.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 02:38:17 PM by glitchy »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2019, 02:40:44 PM »

what kind of pellets did you use?  is it the same as you use on the memphis?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

glitchy

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2019, 03:09:37 PM »

what kind of pellets did you use?  is it the same as you use on the memphis?

Traeger Hickory. Use them all the time on the Memphis when I don't have CookinPellets or find Traeger pellets on sale locally and stock up.

I guess how I'm seeing the problem is the Traeger pit probe is way off at high temps. The controller truly believes that the grill is at 440-450 degrees, when the actual temperature at the probe (and pretty much at the grate from what I saw in my first test) is more like 360. A medium well burger after 45 minutes at 450 'Traeger' degrees, shows that my Fireboard is at the real temp or much much closer. There's no way the real temp is 83 degrees different in that 1.75" gap between the probes in this test. My analysis of the data is making me believe this:

At Traeger probe temp of 250, actual is 225 to 250 (very acceptable)
At 350, actual is 285-300 (not acceptable)
At 450, actual is 350-370 (beyond not acceptable)

If temps were simply 25 degrees off between the probe location and the grate, I could deal with that. Set the grill to 375 to bake at 350, easy stuff. It's just that the probe itself is completely out of whack. Hopefully it's something they can fix with a firmware update or a new pit probe.

Disclaimer: This is in no way an attempt to bash Traeger. I'm just sharing the information I'm finding for others interested in the new models. I'm in no hurry to try to return the grill or anything and hope to work with Traeger on a solution. I like the grill. I like the simplicity of their mobile app, the WiFi seems stable. I LOVE that they've really reduced the temperature swings. I have also found another forum where a few others are talking about the exact same issue, so this is not an isolated problem. Not sure if that is good or bad. It would be nice to just write it off to a bad pit probe, but if it's that, they must have a bad batch and not just mine.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2019, 03:43:59 PM »

all interesting information...I hope they resolve the issue for you and for others.  keep us updated

Yellow-03

• Using less gas.
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2019, 11:01:11 AM »

I guess how I'm seeing the problem is the Traeger pit probe is way off at high temps. The controller truly believes that the grill is at 440-450 degrees, when the actual temperature at the probe (and pretty much at the grate from what I saw in my first test) is more like 360. A medium well burger after 45 minutes at 450 'Traeger' degrees, shows that my Fireboard is at the real temp or much much closer. There's no way the real temp is 83 degrees different in that 1.75" gap between the probes in this test. My analysis of the data is making me believe this:

At Traeger probe temp of 250, actual is 225 to 250 (very acceptable)
At 350, actual is 285-300 (not acceptable)
At 450, actual is 350-370 (beyond not acceptable)

I saw a similar conversation on a FB group the other day.  I didn't see a resolution there, but the person was in contact with Traeger.  Was that perhaps you, or another person having similar issues?
Cookshack PG-500 (Sep 2018 - Present)
Louisiana Grills LG800E (May 2018 - Sep 2018)
Cookshack FEC-100 (2009 - Present)
Traeger Lil' Tex (2006 - Oct 2018 - gave to son)

glitchy

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2019, 11:38:55 AM »

I saw a similar conversation on a FB group the other day.  I didn't see a resolution there, but the person was in contact with Traeger.  Was that perhaps you, or another person having similar issues?

That wasn't me. I did reach out to them yesterday after compiling my data though and am anxiously awaiting their response. I tried to call first, but decided after waiting just a few minutes on hold to hang up and send an e-mail so I could send them the pictures they'd probably need anyway. I'm trying hard to be patient since they've just come out with these. The part that's hard is I saw a tweet or e-mail bragging about the 100,000 hours plus of testing they put into the new D2 grills :o
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up