Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What mods have you made  (Read 12176 times)

ShireSteve

What mods have you made
« on: September 13, 2017, 07:04:56 AM »

I have a DB, with the following mods. Front shelf mounteted inside grill on SS bolts as second cooking shelf. Downdraft installed, pizza oven attachment which is newish and in the learning phase but already turning out better pizzas than straight off the grate.

What useful other mods have you guys done?

Bytor

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Re: What mods have you made
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:13:02 AM »

Down Draft and a Handle mod.  Want to add a grill light and or another shelf.                                         
Lost in the Temple..... GMG DB Bradley (OBS) With Aubrins PID and 900W Mod Weber Genesis 2

TLK

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »

not sure if it qualifies as a mod but I removed the cart and turned it into a "built in"
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:41:44 AM »

Wanted a 2nd shelf in the Daniel Boone that was easy to take out.  So I did this modification.

Notice the perfectly straight cuts for the slits on the side, and the almost invisible beads on the welding to extend the 2nd shelf to the proper width.  That is some quality fabrication right there!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 11:14:59 AM »

Traeger front shelf, GMG front shelf mounted inside grill as a removable second cooking shelf, Don Godkes stainless steel downdraft, GMG pizza oven, lid thermometer, removable pellet labels (currently M for Maple), upgraded 9dBi Omni WiFi Antenna...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block

mowin

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 06:00:30 PM »

Only thighs i did was a 3" elbow for a cheap downdraft.

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 07:22:20 PM »

I have the often bashed Traeger Jr. Elite. It's often bashed because I own it and it's my right to speak the truth. I look at it like a good marriage. If ya can argue and still keep the peace, you'll go a long way in yer relationship. So I got that outta the way.

My 1st overnight butt led to the addition of an extended pellet hopper. I suffered a flame out about 3 hrs in when I woke up and had to take the butt to the fridge. That led me to think an extended hopper would solve the issue. I figured the added weight alone would force the pellets into the auger tube.
NOPE! The 2nd attempt finished much like the 1st.  I don't know what it is that makes my pit tunnel out with frequency, but it does. I did get some UHMW tape as an experiment but haven't applied it because I don't have near enough and it's $$$.

Same thing for the front shelf. Got it but haven't attached it. If Bentley is a cheap screw, I'm the lazy nut.

I did make a 2nd shelf, but it's pretty much worthless as it invades too much of an already small area. It's too close to the top for most purposes, and interferes with food handling on the main grate (turning, flipping, etc.).

Not much you can do with a Jr. BUT... it's perfect for me.  :)

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 07:47:06 PM »

I put a shelf in front that was actually for my Traeger Junior.  I also made a second grill shelf using SS bolts.  I use this for everything except when I am grilling steaks or cooking pizza.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

ShireSteve

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 10:22:31 PM »

I also made a new front shelf from recycled bits of garden furniture that my pup had missed on his mission to eat my seats.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:03:52 AM by LowSlowFoShow »

mreservices

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »

I recently purchased a used 2015 Jim Bowie WiFi and am starting to gather my parts now.  I have a Don Godke's Downdraft hood that will be delivered tomorrow, a GMG Front Shelf that will be here tomorrow and some FireBlack Nomex gasket to seal the lid that is also to be delivered tomorrow.  As you can see, I have some work to do this weekend.  I will post some pics once I get everything done.  I hope to purchase some GrillGrates in the next few weeks as well.

mreservices

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 11:10:10 AM »

What mod is made to the Handle?

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »

What mod is made to the Handle?

Likely the elbowed extension that makes it easier to open close when standing in front of the grill.
GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block

kmartburrito

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 04:18:31 PM »

I also made a new front shelf from recycled bits of garden furniture that my pup had missed on his mission to eat my seats.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I have the pizza oven too, what do you have going on inside there?  I see what looks to be bricks sitting on top of your stone?  My interest is piqued :)

ShireSteve

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 06:44:16 PM »

They are indeed stones. They are 'hot rocks',had a date night with the wife. Could never get the rocks hot enough for a nice sear on a steak in the oven, the GMG pizza oven does a great job of getting the rocks hot. [ Invalid Attachment ]

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 10:13:27 AM »

Removable second shelf that slide on the lower grates and easy to remove. Stove pipe elbow. $3 vs $50 for Godke's vent. Added a Corian front shelf.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:25:26 AM by Clonesmoker »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up