Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What mods have you made  (Read 12230 times)

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
Re: What mods have you made
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »

Wanted a 2nd shelf in the Daniel Boone that was easy to take out.  So I did this modification.

I really like this mod.  I've got a JB that I could use a second shelf for smoking sausage and that would be perfect.  Did you get the channel from anywhere special?
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 10:41:12 AM »

I could not find it in Mayberry, so I had to drive 20 miles to Orange, VA.  If you are in a larger city, I just cant imagine it being tough.  And I think it is aluminum, and for the life of me I can't figure out why I thought it had to be that!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

sleebus.jones

• I like meat
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »

This really doesn't qualify as a "mod" but it sure is useful.  Mosquitos are pretty bad out here, so I do my cooking in a screened porch.  With the stack as it is, all that smoke goes straight up and starts discoloring the ceiling.  With a 3" elbow and some extension pipe, I can direct it off the porch.  This was particularly useful yesterday when the grease drain on the DC was blocked and I heated the grill up to 500 to cook some steaks.  Vaaaaaast clouds of black smoke, followed by ignition and about 6" - 12" of flame shooting out of the pipe.   ???  Good thing that wasn't going straight up!

-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 11:33:14 AM »

Great idea sleebus - I'm going to use this idea on my Traeger
PZ

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 12:39:48 PM »

This really doesn't qualify as a "mod" but it sure is useful.  Mosquitos are pretty bad out here, so I do my cooking in a screened porch.  With the stack as it is, all that smoke goes straight up and starts discoloring the ceiling.  With a 3" elbow and some extension pipe, I can direct it off the porch.  This was particularly useful yesterday when the grease drain on the DC was blocked and I heated the grill up to 500 to cook some steaks.  Vaaaaaast clouds of black smoke, followed by ignition and about 6" - 12" of flame shooting out of the pipe.   ???  Good thing that wasn't going straight up!

Yikes, sounds like a cleaning might be in order!  Then again the fire probably took care of that.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 03:20:34 PM »

Obviously no air flow issues when bent?  No huge temp offsets or fluctuation?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

sleebus.jones

• I like meat
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 03:35:54 PM »

Obviously no air flow issues when bent?  No huge temp offsets or fluctuation?

Nope, works just fine.  I usually don't have it set at 90°, normally it's at 45° or so.  That pic is one of the first ones I took of it.  I have a shorter pipe for when I run >300°, it's about 6", otherwise it's too close to the screen.

mreservices

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 03:18:37 PM »

Added my Downdraft and front shelf the other night. Only completed the burn in so far.  Hope to try out this weekend.  Next mod will be the gasket to seal the lid (I already have it) and a Tru-Tel GQ300 Temperature dial.  I do not like the factory dial.  Anyone know if it is a direct fit or do I need to drill the hole out?

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 09:57:25 AM »

LSFS, can you post a pic or two of how you mounted the Traeger front shelf?  It looks like it's mounted outside the barrel (like my Tailgater's) on the Traeger and to the front of your DB.  I couldn't insert your original post because it seems my only choices are from the second page of the thread. 

Thanks,
BP
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 11:37:17 AM »

LSFS, can you post a pic or two of how you mounted the Traeger front shelf?  It looks like it's mounted outside the barrel (like my Tailgater's) on the Traeger and to the front of your DB.  I couldn't insert your original post because it seems my only choices are from the second page of the thread. 

Thanks,
BP

I am not @ home right now but it comes with 2 mounting brackets that attach to the legs.  One hole matches the GMG and the 2nd I had to drill out myself.
GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block

Brushpopper

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 12:42:15 PM »

No hurry.  Just going off the dimensions, I thought it would bolt to the legs.  I was looking at the pic you posted in the GMG mod thread and it looks like it sits much higher than the GMG shelf, almost right below grill level.  It may just be the way the pic is.  I'll have to go look at the one I have on the Tailgater.

Thanks,
BP

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 04:57:45 PM »

Here is a side shot.  The bolt on the side of the leg is the one I added.  There is also a bolt on the front of the leg but it lines up with the GMG leg bolt.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block

Brushpopper

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 10:32:59 PM »

Here is a side shot.  The bolt on the side of the leg is the one I added.  There is also a bolt on the front of the leg but it lines up with the GMG leg bolt.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

That looks perfect!  Nothing like my Tailgater shelf.  I didn't realize it had the extra uprights.  And the GMG shelf is going inside as a second shelf.  I'll have to wait a few weeks to slip the purchase by the boss, but that's not a problem.  Thanks LSFS!   :clap:

Brushpopper

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I like how that looks and works.  And being at grill level is also better in my opinion.  I can't find any Traeger shelves with the uprights like that.  I guess they've changed the design and bolt them on the predrilled holes on the barrel of the pit now.  I've looked on eBay, Amazon, Firecraft, and Traeger sites.  Any other suggestions are welcome.  Thanks, BP

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2017, 12:08:13 PM »

I logged into my Target account, clicked on reorder and here is the page it sent me to:

https://www.target.com/p/traeger-lil-tex-elite-folding-front-shelf/-/A-16993615

It looks like even though its the "same part" they've changed the design... Dang!
GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up