Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Sep 2017
  • What's the difference with the Chipotle?

A little smokey flavor to it and less vinegary in my opinion.
  • #17 by Queball on 14 Sep 2017
  • Are Cholula sauces as hot as say Tabasco? .... Is a sauce hotter if Chipotle is used?
    • Queball
  • #18 by Bentley on 14 Sep 2017
  • I would have to give you my scale I guess: 10 being the hottest thing I personally have ever tried (want to try that Carolina Reaper)

Bhut jolokia (Ghost Chili) - 10
    Habanero, Scotch Bonnet - 7
    Serrano - 5
    Jalapeño - 3
    Anaheim, Poblano - 1

On the Scoville scale, Tabasco pepper rates the same as Serrano, and to me, the sauce (not chili) is more in the Jalapeno range.  Cholula I like because I do not find it hot (again, by Scoville rating it is about a 1000, or a 1 on my scale), I find it full of spice, to very different things for me.
  • #19 by Queball on 14 Sep 2017
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]
    • Queball
  • #20 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Sep 2017
  • A chipotle is a roasted jalapeno.  I would say Chipotle is similar in heat to Tabasco sauce.  I had some 1.2mm scoville unit hot sauce a few weekends ago.  I then used some Tabasco sauce on some wings later that afternoon.  I had to use about a tablespoon to even notice there was anything on one wing.
  • #21 by Queball on 15 Sep 2017
  • Cholula I like because I do not find it hot (again, by Scoville rating it is about a 1000, or a 1 on my scale), I find it full of spice, to very different things for me.

I feel the same way. ...... Flavor I love, but palate numbing heat I just don't get. Cholula has the drawing of a Mexican lady in traditional dress on the label I believe. I'm sure I have seen it. ..... Have to try a bottle.
    • Queball
  • #22 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Sep 2017
  • Cholula I like because I do not find it hot (again, by Scoville rating it is about a 1000, or a 1 on my scale), I find it full of spice, to very different things for me.

I feel the same way. ...... Flavor I love, but palate numbing heat I just don't get. Cholula has the drawing of a Mexican lady in traditional dress on the label I believe. I'm sure I have seen it. ..... Have to try a bottle.

The small bottles have a little wooden cap.  The only brand in the stores with that to my knowledge so it is easy to find.
  • #23 by Queball on 15 Sep 2017
  • Found It!
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
    In addition to the Chipotle, they also had one featuring garlic and another featuring lime. But didn't see an original formula. Will look forward to trying this. Thanks
    • Queball
  • #24 by Bentley on 15 Sep 2017
  • Uh oh...I know Lew talked about this earlier, and even this thread may have been talking about the chipotle...I guess I had blinders on. But my only experience is with original...so I hope I have not led you astray with my comments on heat. 
  • #25 by Queball on 15 Sep 2017
  • They had everything but original, which I thought was strange. Not to worry, the heat level will be what it will be. But I, like you, would prefer something flavorful rather than numbing.
    • Queball
  • #26 by ZCZ on 15 Sep 2017
  • How do you know about restaurants in the Mpls area?  I am in the Mpls area. Will have to check this place out. Might have enough guys in this area to do a crawl. This could be one of our stops.
    Z
  • #27 by Queball on 15 Sep 2017
  • ZCZ,
    One of the enjoyable things I do is cooking research. I bumped into a magazine that had a section in it where people could inquire about how dishes were made at restaurants they had been to. Sometimes the restaurant will give the magazine the recipe and the magazine gives them exposure featuring it. I saw the above rib recipe and thought that that could be interesting and a nice change. Then I went on line and checked out the restaurant site. That's where I got the picture of their building and sign. There are shots of the interior on line. It's a very nice place! Looking at the recipe it called for Calabrian peppers. Then I searched for Calabrian peppers and where to obtain them which then led me to Southern Italy, to Calibria and on and on it went. It's like a big adventure. Once I have all of my research done, I then look at the recipe and re-write it, to make it the most effective to execute using the techniques we use in the "Land of Cue".(Adding smoke, reverse sear, etc). I then plan the cook out and write the paragraphs on Word, including what pictures I'll need. I then do the cook and shoot the required pictures during the process. Then it's a matter of picture editing, re-writes, re-works until the finished product is where I like it. Everything I've posted here has taken at least one week minimum,(and those are the easy cooks) if not more to produce from beginning to end. Sometimes they morph into something else and some time they just hit the editing floor and never see the light of day. I should also note that because I'm converting the recipe with a "Cue-ish" approach, it probably won't be exactly like theirs. In this case they may have steamed the ribs on a pan, foiled and then sauced them and put them under a broiler, where I'm doing Fast Eddy Method low & slow, pushin in some smoke, in a pellet cooker.
    • Queball
  • #28 by ZCZ on 15 Sep 2017
  • Thanks for the explanation. So appreciate the contribution you are making to this site. Your posts are a great pleasure to read. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Z
  • #29 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Sep 2017
  • Thanks for the explanation. So appreciate the contribution you are making to this site. Your posts are a great pleasure to read. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Z

+1

The depth of research certainly comes through on the final documentation.
  • #30 by jdmessner on 15 Sep 2017
  • Great recipe and photos. My daughter is spending this semester in Italy. I know she is experiencing a lot of new foods, I'll giver her a heads up on this one. I have some ribs in the freezer and will be giving this a try!
Pages:
Actions