Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Firepot Overflow + Issues?  (Read 7839 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Firepot Overflow + Issues?
« on: April 02, 2019, 11:48:56 AM »

After 3+ years of no issues with my DB I had a big one today.  I first thought something was wrong when the temperature would not get above 80.  Then I thought it may have been due to the ambient temperature was around 50.  So I went inside to give it more time.  When I went out it was smoking crazy.  I opened up the lid and more smoke poured out.  This is when I shut it down.  Once I got through all the smoke I got it apart and the firepot was overflowing with pellets and the middle of the pellets was smoking.  At this time I dug out my Traeger Junior out of the motorhome to put the ribs on.

Once everything cooled down I started to dig out the partially burned pellets out of the firepot.   I have read about this before, but I cannot remember what the cause and fix is.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Firepot Overflow + Issues?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 11:52:06 AM »

Too much ash in the firepot is blocking up the holes that blow air into the fire.  The pellets just keeping dumping in.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 12:18:22 PM »

I have had mine close to 5 years and have not had this happen.  I would think Bar-B-Lew could have an idea.  It could be a fan not working, or a bad sensor or the controller malfunction.  I personally would start with the easiest stuff first.  Clean fire pot and make sure the fan is spinning freely.  If that is not a factor, I would think that I would start replacing the sensor and the control board after that.  Somehow, the controller thought it needed more pellets to get more heat when the fire was not going, figuring out why is the hard part.  Good luck.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »

I only know from experience on my Traeger and my MAK.  Same thing happened on each.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 01:23:39 PM »

I forgot to mention that I cleaned it and vacuum the firepot out yesterday.  The fan was blowing smoke everywhere.

ICIdaho

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 02:53:59 PM »

I forgot to mention that I cleaned it and vacuum the firepot out yesterday.  The fan was blowing smoke everywhere.

Have you tried lighting it again since?  Computers sometimes just need a good reboot!

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 03:47:46 PM »

No, but I plan on doing it tomorrow with nothing in it to see what happens.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 06:55:56 PM »

That is called a "flame-out". Happens mostly at lower temps. Causes are: too much ash in the pot, controller failing to message the auger for enough pellets that allows the fire to burn out. On some controllers there is an adjustment such as the P setting on the older Traeger units, that if set too high would deliver insufficient pellets to keep the fire going in smoke mode. The fire would go out and the pellets trickle in.  Another possibility is pellet bridging where the pellets clump together over the auger and block their way to the auger. Longer pellets are more prone to this. Then after this pellet cavitation, vibration or a jolt breaks up the pellets that are then fed into an unlit pot..Just a good thing that you didn't try to restart w/ that accumulation of pellets... Is this a wifi controlled pit? That could be another story.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 07:02:47 PM »

That is called a "flame-out". Happens mostly at lower temps. Causes are: too much ash in the pot, controller failing to message the auger for enough pellets that allows the fire to burn out. On some controllers there is an adjustment such as the P setting on the older Traeger units, that if set too high would deliver insufficient pellets to keep the fire going in smoke mode. The fire would go out and the pellets trickle in.  Another possibility is pellet bridging where the pellets clump together over the auger and block their way to the auger. Longer pellets are more prone to this. Then after this pellet cavitation, vibration or a jolt breaks up the pellets that are then fed into an unlit pot..Just a good thing that you didn't try to restart w/ that accumulation of pellets... Is this a wifi controlled pit? That could be another story.

No, it is not a wifi controlled smoker.  There was a clump of burned pellets that I dug out of the firepot.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:17:11 AM by reubenray »

GREG-B

• Washougal WA
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 12:36:27 AM »

I have called GMG help center with some issues I've had.   They're very knowledgable and willing to answer all of my questions I asked.  Give em a call.   Couldn't hurt.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »

I second the call to GMG. You never know what may become of it, and it is free.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 12:15:44 PM »

I checked this today without anything in it.  No deflector or heat shields., grates, etc.  It did the same thing as yesterday.  It dumped pellets and the fire kept getting bigger until I turned it off.  I tried to watch the pellets being dumped, but the smoke got to bad.  Should I have had the heat deflector in it?  It seems to me like it is dumping to many pellets, but what do I know.

I am leaving for a month long trip in a few days, so I will contact GMG when I get back.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 01:12:22 PM »

You should not need the heat deflector in initially.  I start my Blazn manually because it has no hot rod, and I have not experienced the issue you are having.  Seems to me something in the controller isn't functioning properly.  I would call GMG and walk them through both of your recent experiences.

ICIdaho

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 01:18:41 PM »

I would not rule out the sensor either.  I am just guessing, but it seems like if it is sending cold temp readings back to the controller, it is going to keep dumping pellets to make a bigger fire to heat it up.  Maybe GMG has a trouble shooting method that can rule something out.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 02:51:28 PM »

See Texasbrew's comments in this thread.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up