Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 05 Apr 2019
  • They had big bags of pre-washed, pre-chopped collards at the grocery store so I bought one thinking I might attempt to be healthy this week.  Any good recipes to share?
  • #2 by pmillen on 05 Apr 2019
  • Nope.  I not only don't have a recipe, but I also have never seen it.  So I looked it up.  It looks like a cabbage plant without the cabbage head.

I guess I've always lived too far north.
  • #3 by Bentley on 05 Apr 2019
  • You have to use smoked hocks or it is not worth the time to eat!    :pig:  Maybe Salt Pork!
  • #4 by Kristin Meredith on 05 Apr 2019
  • Nope.  I not only don't have a recipe, but I also have never seen it.  So I looked it up.  It looks like a cabbage plant without the cabbage head.

I guess I've always lived too far north.

They are a staple of Southern Soul food.  I can remember my Mom making them once or twice, but I don't think she was a fan.  Thought I would give it a whirl since I have never made them.
  • #5 by Bobitis on 05 Apr 2019
  • Get a good batch of greens and steam them with some garlic and onions. Add to black eyed peas with smoked ham hocks.
    Serve with corn bread and fried cat fish.  :lick:
  • #6 by reubenray on 05 Apr 2019
  • A few weeks ago we made Turnip Backbone Stew using turnip greens which is similar to collar greens.  I smoked some country style ribs prior to putting them in with the turnip greens, onions, bacon and turnips.  It was delicious.  With collards or turnip greens make sure to put a little sugar in it.  I eat it in a bowl with cornbread.
  • #7 by dk117 on 05 Apr 2019
  • Toss in a stock pot with about a pint (give it a quart if you have a real big batch) of water. It doesn't take a lot though.
    Give them a good glug of cider vinegar and a couple tablespoons of honey.
    They'll need some kind of seasoning. I use Everglades, but seasoned salt or straight up salt will work just fine.
    Toss in a chunk of bacon or other smoked meat.
    Bring to a rolling boil and cover.
    Give them about 30 - 40 minutes at a strong simmer and start sampling.
    Do not toss the pot likker. There's a lot of flavor there.
    this sounds about perfect.   But don’t forget the Tabasco sauce to taste.
  • #8 by SurfAndTurf on 05 Apr 2019
  • Y'all are killing me here! Those recipes sound so good-and I haven't had greens in awhile!
  • #9 by cookingjnj on 05 Apr 2019
  • Toss in a stock pot with about a pint (give it a quart if you have a real big batch) of water. It doesn't take a lot though.
    Give them a good glug of cider vinegar and a couple tablespoons of honey.
    They'll need some kind of seasoning. I use Everglades, but seasoned salt or straight up salt will work just fine.
    Toss in a chunk of bacon or other smoked meat.
    Bring to a rolling boil and cover.
    Give them about 30 - 40 minutes at a strong simmer and start sampling.
    Do not toss the pot likker. There's a lot of flavor there.
    this sounds about perfect.   But don’t forget the Tabasco sauce to taste.

+1
  • #10 by Hank D Thoreau on 06 Apr 2019
  • The only way I can eat them is as follows

Take a hand full collard greens, or a mix of collard, mustard and turnip greens, and place them in a large cup
    Add some sprigs of broccoli or broccoli sprouts
    Add a couple of small carrots
    Add a banana (to mask bitterness), strawberries and blueberries
    Add several boost foods such as chia seeds, flax seeds, camu camu, maqui powder, macca powder
    Add cocao nibs
    Add a mix of chocolate and vanilla protein powder (to make the flavor tolerable)
    Blend with a Nutribullet bullet, pour in a glass and serve.

That's how we rock collard greens in California.
  • #11 by Kristin Meredith on 06 Apr 2019
  • The only way I can eat them is as follows

Take a hand full collard greens, or a mix of collard, mustard and turnip greens, and place them in a large cup
    Add some sprigs of broccoli or broccoli sprouts
    Add a couple of small carrots
    Add a banana (to mask bitterness), strawberries and blueberries
    Add several boost foods such as chia seeds, flax seeds, camu camu, maqui powder, macca powder
    Add cocao nibs
    Add a mix of chocolate and vanilla protein powder (to make the flavor tolerable)
    Blend with a Nutribullet bullet, pour in a glass and serve.

That's how we rock collard greens in California.

Ah yes, California, the land of fruits and nuts.  Know it well since I lived there for 50 years.  That sounds about right for how a Californian would approach collards.  :pig:
Pages:
Actions