Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Hank D Thoreau on 06 Apr 2019
  • Of all the things I do, the one thing that I do every day is play the guitar. That is because it is easy to just pick it up.

I have been playing since right after I graduated from high school. I have never progressed beyond the amateur level. My fingers fumble when performing.

Anyway, I am wondering who out there likes to pick or strum, and what type of music you like to play.
  • #2 by litzerski on 06 Apr 2019
  • I played for a living a while back.  Played guitar, bass and mandolin family.

Plugged in for some bands, but always preferred flatpicking.  Played bluegrass, blues, folk, rock and everything else  "Americana." 

Had over 30 instruments back when I played to put food on the table.  Down to about 15 now.  Don't play much anymore...haven't even picked up a guitar in over 3 years.
  • #3 by okie smokie on 06 Apr 2019
  • I have two classical guitars.  First one I bought from the maker in Acapulco in 1966 for $100.  White maple side and back with a fine spruce top.  It has been carefully maintained, but I never did really learn how to play it well.  But I picked away at the beginners book for many years. Later I bought a nice Yamaha CG151C with a nice cedar top and a softer sound.  In spite of my lack of skill personally, I joined a group of players that met monthly in Dallas back in 1966 which was led by a very skilled amateur classical guitarist.  We called ourselves the "Friends of the Guitar" and tried to get some of the great guitarists of the time to book concerts in Dallas.  I was with the group for a couple of years and then moved away and forgot about it. Recently, I found out that the group had evolved into the only booking service in Dallas for classical guitarists and was successful until it was absorbed (or sold?) into a larger professional booking service of some kind. Don't know if it exists now.  Meanwhile my guitars sit unplayed for several years now. Will probably pass them on to students via Craig's list. Two of my grandsons play electrics but would probably not treat mine very well. 
    At 83, I am not able to make the chord stretches with my short arthritic fingers.
  • #4 by Hank D Thoreau on 06 Apr 2019
  • I am the KFC of amateur guitar players. I decided that I did not have the talent to do everything, so I chose one style to do right.

I am a traditional blues guitar player. My preference is the delta style of folks such as Charley Patton, Robert Johnson, Son House and Willie Brown.

I am all finger style, particularly the unique brand of finger style used by the old blues players. I also play a lot of slide guitar since it is important to the style.

I too, have a pile of guitars stashed about, including a couple of resonators (metal body Dobro, and wood body square neck). I even have some electrics guitars including a lap steel and a bass.

I really don't understand much about making electrics do what they are capable of, not that I would want to try if I had the time.

It is all fun and great relaxation. I learned many years back that if guitars are to be played, they have to be out. As such, I have a couple of multiguitar racks around my house so I can just pick one up at any time and play.

Oh, and when I use a flat pick I feel like I am trying to rip the strings in half. I never developed the touch for flat picking. Like I said, KFC. If I make the menu too large, I won't be able to do anything well.
  • #5 by Bentley on 06 Apr 2019
  • Phrett (as you can imagine by his handle) plays, but he is not on as much as he used to be!
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Apr 2019

• I am a traditional blues guitar player. My preference is the delta style of folks such as Charley Patton, Robert Johnson, Son House and Willie Brown.

You probably could have picked something easier to learn.  I've been traveling around MS the last 5 years or so seeing places where these guys were born, lived, played, died, etc.  Thursday I am going to take some friends to Dockery Farms to teach them a little bit about Charley Patton.

• #7 by Hank D Thoreau on 06 Apr 2019

• I am a traditional blues guitar player. My preference is the delta style of folks such as Charley Patton, Robert Johnson, Son House and Willie Brown.

You probably could have picked something easier to learn.  I've been traveling around MS the last 5 years or so seeing places where these guys were born, lived, played, died, etc.  Thursday I am going to take some friends to Dockery Farms to teach them a little bit about Charley Patton.

It is a difficult style but I have been able to focus on one thing, which helps. I really like the rhythmic nature of the delta blues, especially the string snapping which took me quite some time to figure out. Dockery Farms is where many of the old blues players came from.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Apr 2019
  • Have you ever listened to Revered Peyton?  He did a CD of Patton songs and plays a lot of songs with that style.  I have read that he is one of the best of today's times playing that style.
  • #9 by Mikro on 06 Apr 2019
  • I have been playing off and on since 1968. I don't play much as I like anymore as I am busy making guitars now. Have been making electric and acoustics since 2003. My health recently has stopped my builds since Jan of 2018. Hopefully soon I will be back to building again. During my down time I have been rebranding my guitar name. What a PITA that is to do. LOL!!! Been doing so much CAD work on new models. Many hours of work even in the bed during recovery. :) My eyes are not like they used to be so cataract surgery soon. :(
    mk
  • #10 by Hank D Thoreau on 07 Apr 2019
  • Have you ever listened to Revered Peyton?  He did a CD of Patton songs and plays a lot of songs with that style.  I have read that he is one of the best of today's times playing that style.
    I will have to look him up. I am out now. I will post what I think when I get home.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• #11 by mo-kid on 07 Apr 2019
  • just recently retired and I read that doing NEW stuff really helped with the brain, so I purchased a Yamaha acoustic, been playing for only a few months but boy do I love it!!! Anything I can get over you-tube I'll try, love the instructional video's. Don't think I could be much help to anyone but it sure is fun and as you said....relaxing.
  • #12 by Hank D Thoreau on 08 Apr 2019
  • I have been playing off and on since 1968. I don't play much as I like anymore as I am busy making guitars now. Have been making electric and acoustics since 2003. My health recently has stopped my builds since Jan of 2018. Hopefully soon I will be back to building again. During my down time I have been rebranding my guitar name. What a PITA that is to do. LOL!!! Been doing so much CAD work on new models. Many hours of work even in the bed during recovery. :) My eyes are not like they used to be so cataract surgery soon. :(
    mk

Do you have a website? I am a lefty. A real bummer when it comes to guitars.
  • #13 by Fire708 on 08 Apr 2019
    mk

Could you also PM me your website please. I don’t play but I have two boys that play almost everyday.
  • #14 by Mikro on 08 Apr 2019
  • BENTLEY if not allowed please delete. MK

A few of you have asked for my website. Currently due to my health issues (recovery from back surgery and getting ready to do my cataracts in a few weeks) I am down until MAY. I am currently building the new site as I have rebranded my name. I will be more than happy to email photos of my work until I am back up and running. I do everything from the CAD work to the finish.  :) Please PM me for more info
    Thanks for the interest,
    Mike
    Here are a few of the ones I have done. I lost a lot of pics from a Harddrive crash. :(

• #15 by Bentley on 08 Apr 2019
  • Would just appreciate moving forward, all other business correspondence done by PM or other means!
Pages:
Actions