Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Aug 2019
  • Our high school football hydration station was a garden hose with rusty nails onto a board hanging on a fence.  You would get a break and a coach would turn on the water and you would stand in line to get one of the 10 or so holes in the hose that water would spray out of.  I'm a few months from being 50 so I've lasted about 35 years since using the water hose.
  • #32 by Bentley on 14 Aug 2019
  • I played in the mid to late 70's and we got to bring our own thermos with anything in it we wanted...I guess my coaches were ahead of the curve!
  • #33 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Aug 2019
  • I played in the mid to late 70's and we got to bring our own thermos with anything in it we wanted...I guess my coaches were ahead of the curve!

Yeah...this was mid 80s for me.
  • #34 by GREG-B on 14 Aug 2019
  • I played mid to late 60's and there was NO water allowed on the field during practice.  We got a bucket to wet towels to suck on during games.  Slightly soapy towels no less. :puke:
  • #35 by Kristin Meredith on 14 Aug 2019
  • I played mid to late 60's and there was NO water allowed on the field during practice.  We got a bucket to wet towels to suck on during games.  Slightly soapy towels no less. :puke:

Yeah, coaches in that time period and earlier had some really strange ideas about how the body worked and being tough.
  • #36 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Aug 2019

Yeah, coaches in that time period and earlier had some really strange ideas about how the body worked and being tough.

Its surprising that more people didn't die like we have heard in the news over the last few years.  Although, quite possible it happened but we didn't have the media sources that exist today for people to hear about it almost immediately.
  • #37 by okie smokie on 14 Aug 2019

Its surprising that more people didn't die like we have heard in the news over the last few years.  Although, quite possible it happened but we didn't have the media sources that exist today for people to hear about it almost immediately.

Actually, there were deaths from this stupid practice. Coaches thought that putting water in your stomach would make you sick or weaker.  The development of electrolytes and carb drinks have saved the day, although just a lot of water is very helpful. If you are really hot and for long periods, and exerting, you should drink enough liquids that you have to urinate during or after the workout.  You will find your mind clearer, and feel better if you use the electrolyte liquids with strenuous exercise.

Pages:
Actions