Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Bentley on 08 Apr 2019
  • Just shy of 10lbs.  I used a dry rub cure on it.  I did not have any large ziplocks, so in my infinite wisdom, I just assume I could rub my cure mixture on it, and place it on slotted rack of fridge with towel underneath.  I guess it worked, it does not seem salty enough for me, but that will please Kristin when she eats it!
  • #32 by Bentley on 08 Apr 2019
  • 2 hours @ 180°!

• #33 by GREG-B on 08 Apr 2019
  • In my misspent youth, one of the phrases I was quite fond of using when somebody wanted me to do something, anything.  "might as well, fields too wet to plow".  So.....might as well make some bacon while the field is too wet to plow?   :rotf:
  • #34 by SmokinHandyman on 08 Apr 2019
  • Tow company wants $250...I grantee you I buy a wench and snatch block before that happens.

I agree, you will probably need that winch again, but becarefull cause you could get yourself hurt or be killed if something goes wrong.I might just pay the $250.

By the way your bacon looks great.
  • #35 by pmillen on 08 Apr 2019
  • Gee, Bentley, I'd wager that one of the volunteer firefighters that you two support has a winch on a vehicle.  Then you'll just need to buy a snatchblock or two.

OR...Buy a really long cable and snatchblock(s), get a tractor or your 4-wheel drive pickup on solid ground and pull.
  • #36 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Apr 2019
  • I'm not in your position, but I would spend the $250 and call it a day and get on with life.
  • #37 by SmokinHandyman on 08 Apr 2019
  • I am a chicken. Pay o get it done.
  • #38 by hughver on 08 Apr 2019
  • I'd pay the for tow truck after I tried everything else. However, I'd be darn sure to get it out before the mud starts to dry.  :-[
  • #39 by glitchy on 09 Apr 2019
  • I'm not in your position, but I would spend the $250 and call it a day and get on with life.

I’m with this vote. Doesn’t seem that bad to me based upon the pic of your predicament...but, i’m stubborn too and would probably try the winch and fail first and spend $600 in the end :P
  • #40 by CaptJerry on 09 Apr 2019
  • Tow company wants $250...I grantee you I buy a wench and snatch block before that happens.

That's cheap.
    No brainer for me.

Now when I do something like that my saying is, "stupid is expensive"
  • #41 by ylr on 09 Apr 2019
  • I'd still offer a farmer neighbor with a big 4WD tractor a brisket, sides, and one of Kristin's desserts; it'd work for me! :lick:
  • #42 by SmokinHandyman on 09 Apr 2019
  • I'd still offer a farmer neighbor with a big 4WD tractor a brisket, sides, and one of Kristin's desserts; it'd work for me! :lick:

Best solution yet.
  • #43 by Yellow-03 on 09 Apr 2019
  • Did you consider the methods in Mudflap's videos?  That is a very common way to unstick a tractor in muck.  Old-fashioned ingenuity at work.  Easier than setting up a winch solution, and without the concern of snapping a cable or burning out a winch.
  • #44 by Bentley on 09 Apr 2019
  • Tractor has bucket, and is buried more then tractor 1, so it is out.  The other 3 require putting chains through the rim I believe, and I cant do that on mine, 3 did look promising!

My latest attempt was digging today, but that quickly wore off, and my mind drifted to diverting spring.  So I went and bought a 10 ft piece of 2 inch PVC with a 90° elbow.  1st attempts were not promising as the spring seemed to "move" as PVC was driven in.  So I think I am goin to build up area around spring and run the PVC out from it and see if we can divert water.  My real worry now is there are little springs like this all over and just diverting this one is going to do nothing.  But I gotta try!
  • #45 by Bobitis on 09 Apr 2019
  • Just an idea Bentley...

Have you thought about throwing some timber in the muck 'behind' the tractor and backing out? You could used the bucket to help get some traction.

It appears that going forward is out of the question (from the pics). Surely you have enough wood to fill the back end. Is the fore end so deeply mired that the bucket can't provide any lift?

Just a thought...
Pages:
Actions