Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Kristin Meredith on 08 Apr 2019
  • They sound like decent people at The Shed.  Glad that they have found commercial success.
  • #17 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Apr 2019
  • One other big differentiator for me between the two places.  Gibson's did not have sauce on any of their product, but had it on the table to use.  I chose not to because the meat was flavorful and moist and didn't need sauce IMO.

The Shed sausage and ribs were both slathered in sauce.  I can see where someone who doesn't know how to make BBQ and thinks BBQ should taste like sauce would really like that place.  I think their target customers are their TV audience of which I would suspect most don't know how to smoke meat.  BTW, this is not a knock on the poster who has been there after the hurricane  as I see you know how to BBQ.  The place was packed at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon so I give them credit for their marketing.  And, they must be making good gross margin on the product because what I got for $20 probably cost them about $5.

If I recall an episode on TV from a Memphis in May competition, The Shed cooked their food out of an old school bus or something like that.  I can see where the showmanship would get them good scores.  However, there still is a blind submission at MIM too that they had to do well in to win.
  • #18 by CaptJerry on 08 Apr 2019
  • My first time at the Shed was pre-Katrina.
    It sucked. Both times I was there and observing from the campground many nights, the place stays packed.
    This is way before any tv shows.
    Great atmosphere there, lots of beer, music, just don't care for their food.
  • #19 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Apr 2019
  • It looked like it could be a fun place.
  • #20 by Bentley on 08 Apr 2019
  • That is the way the meat should be...but I always thought thy dunked their chicken at least in that white sauce, don't know if you ate any of it...and I cant imagine sauce on sausage, that concept is so foreign to me.  I guess if you maybe said a mustard sauce.

I only met Chris Lilly once, but he sure seemed like a genuine guy!

Big Bob Gibson go to 8:04 mark...

Gibson's did not have sauce on any of their product, but had it on the table to use.  I chose not to because the meat was flavorful and moist and didn't need sauce IMO.

The Shed sausage and ribs were both slathered in sauce.
  • #21 by CaptJerry on 09 Apr 2019
  • Really enjoyed the whole video
  • #22 by Maineac on 09 Apr 2019
  • For the last 4 years my wife and I have spent the month of March in Waveland which was Ground Zero for Katrina.  The first year there was very little new construction but in the last 2 years building has picked up quite a bit.  It appears to take about 15 years for people to forget.

Ocean Springs made out much better than Waveland, Bay St. Louis, or Pass Christian.  I have eaten at The Shed - once.  Never felt compelled to return.  My opinion was that it was average BBQ, maybe a 6 out of 10 at best.  But the place gets a lot of business.  In my Q eats in this area the best I have found is Leatha's BBQ in Hattiesburg. 

My one complaint of a lot of BBQ joints, including places in Lockhart, is that they will have great meat but not so great sides.  Sucky mac & cheese, or corn bread, or bad slaw will turn me off to it all.  But that's me.
  • #23 by Ralphie on 09 Apr 2019
  • I have no doubt I would be in the same boat as you if I tried The Shed again.  There is probably a reason I only really remember the wings! 
  • #24 by JeffCO on 12 Apr 2019
  • BBL -- Glad you had a good experience at Big Bob's.  I went hoping the white sauce chicken lived up to my expectations.  It didn't and the pork was dry and stringy.  I asked the hotel staff in Huntsville for a recommendation and after they initially steered me to chain, said "Oh, then you want to go down to Exit 2, turn right, then after about 10 miles you will see a couple buildings at an intersection."  The Greenbrier serves bottomless hush-puppies and their white sauce was amazing.  Started more as a catfish restaurant, but the chicken was worth a trip.
Pages:
Actions