Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passover Dinner - And another first for me with the pellet cooker!  (Read 291 times)

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey

Hi all,

So last night my wife had her family and close family friends over for Passover dinner (15 people in all), and I was given the task to prepare the mains for the dinner. Because brisket is a tradition with her family, I needed to include brisket as part of the offerings. Now, I do not like brisket the way her family normally prepares it (braised which comes out a lot like pot roast), but I LOVE when I cook brisket on the pellet cooker.   I decided on brisket flat and a lemon tarragon marinated boneless chicken breast as mains. Since it was Good Friday, I had to come up with a non-meat dish for myself and my mother (of course anyone was able to have the fish as well). Came up with making a panko/bread crumb crusted take on Broiled Boston Scrod using tilapia as the fish and baked in the oven. Found out way late in the game the entire oven was going to be used for making the sides, so had to re-group.

I have never in the years I have had my pellet pit used it as an oven, but there is a first for everything. Once the brisket was done to a perfect 205 internal (both by temp test and by probe softness test), the brisket went into FTC for a few hours to rest. Pellet grill fired up to 450 to get ready for the fish. Ran out of room so the chicken was grilled on my gasser.

Sorry the pictures are not great....still need that photography class, but here is the result of the dinner. I did not get pictures of the chicken at all...ugh, but not made on the pellet pit so oh well. All in all, the three dishes came out outstanding according to our guest. I can attest to the fact the fish was outstanding, and the visuals of the brisket (might look dry in the picture, but was as moist as a brisket can be) and chicken were spot on. Dinner was a success. I will be having brisket sammies for lunch today to ensure guest were not just being kind with the praises.....hahahaha.

Brisket on the pit at 7am at 225.  Rubbed with light dusting of a commercial brisket rub and then a top rub of Montreal Steak Seasoning
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Brisket sliced after coming of the pit and FTC for 2.5 hours.  Pictures do not do the moistness justice.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Fish prepared and put on the pit at 450.  First time I have ever "baked" on my pellet pit (will not be the last now)
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Fish off the pit after around 15 minutes.  Could have gone just a little longer to brown the panko a little more.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

****  Side note, when I mentioned to my wife the my fish idea, she said that sounded outstanding.  I was excited and happy.  Of course after finishing the dish and putting it out for serving, she then mentioned she forgot the panko and little bread crumbs I added cannot be eaten on Passover after sundown.  Most of the guest did not have any of the fish.  More for me I guess, which was good, but I really kept eyeing that brisket all night!

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Passover Dinner - And another first for me with the pellet cooker!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 01:50:47 PM »

I love this post.  As a Catholic who isn't quite as Catholic as I used to be, I would have dove into that brisket!

Well done, I love it when a big gathering turns out well and everyone gets what they desired out of the gathering.  Celebrating Passover and Good Friday all in one, Kudos to you.

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 02:06:15 PM »

It is a fine Spread...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 04:54:14 PM »

Your fish looks outstanding.  Who would have brisket with that available? :pig:

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 05:53:38 PM »

A very nice cook.  I love it when my family all sits down for a meal.  Yours was special.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 06:44:45 AM »

Indeed it all looks really good, nicely done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up