Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ofelles on 24 Apr 2019
  • Yoder just came out with the YS640s.  Has WiFi and fireboard controler.  Also ceramic starter.  Starter available now upgrade for existing units in 3rd quarter this year.  Looking forward to it.
  • #2 by triplebq on 24 Apr 2019
  • I saw that as well. Nice update to YS640 units.
  • #3 by WamegoQ on 24 Apr 2019
  • Can't wait to try both the controller and ceramic starter on my 640. Looks like a wifi antenna on the bottom front panel of the hopper box that may replace the current fuse access, below the controller face. Gonna be interesting to see how involved the retrofit will be. Come on quarter 3.............
  • #4 by ArborAgent on 24 Apr 2019
  • It’s even better. It’s integrated with Fireboard!! All of the goodness of the Fireboard thermometers built in. This was a genius move by Yoder. Leave software to people who know how to make it and make it work well.
  • #5 by Chicagolandbiker on 27 Apr 2019
  • I've been debating on upgrading from my Traeger Lil Tex to either their new Timberline series or the 640.  The 640S may push me in the direction of the Yoder now.  Decisions decisions
  • #6 by JBsuperG on 06 Jun 2019
  • I've been debating on upgrading from my Traeger Lil Tex to either their new Timberline series or the 640.  The 640S may push me in the direction of the Yoder now.  Decisions decisions
    I have been looking at the same to grills. The Timberline seems to have a lot of problems. I think I'm going to move to the Yoder.
  • #7 by spectra on 27 Jan 2020
  • Been using the ceramic starter for about 8 months now and works great............. got the ACS for Christmas so need some downtime so I can do a really good cleaning and re paint and install it on the 480..........
  • #8 by Shaneskee on 22 Apr 2020
  • Can any of you who upgraded give an update to the new controller? Is it worth it? Have you noticed an improvement in the burn rate?

I think the thermocouple couple is going out on mine and am looking at upgrading the controller too.
  • #9 by protege2k on 23 Apr 2020
  • Can any of you who upgraded give an update to the new controller? Is it worth it? Have you noticed an improvement in the burn rate?

I think the thermocouple couple is going out on mine and am looking at upgrading the controller too.
    I upgraded my YS640 about 2 weeks ago, some background, my grill is from 2012. 

To date I have the blanket (you need a blanket - saves pellets and runs well all year), new wheels, new diffuser, new burn grate, ceramic igniter (this is a must have), new smoked grates, new bucket, and now ACS controller.

The ACS is an early birthday gift since we are in stay at home mode, I bought it early - my model also required a new outside fan, fan diffuser, the short thermocouple, and optional probe kit (included).  In short, the $400 ish kit. 

Prepare yourself for some work, this took me a solid hour and a half.  Watch the video first, then watch it again - seriously, this helps relieve any anxiety about what you will do.  Lay out your tools, ratchets, drill (be careful using one as you can strip the machine screws if not careful), bring your patience!!!

Couple unique issues, getting the 8 year old seasoned screws out to release the hopper from the grill, moving the thermocouple by drilling new holes and installation.  Couple of areas in the written instructions where I would have like a clear, what side does the washer face, areas - all in, instructions are impressive.

Once completed, I set the model in the ACS and could not connect to WiFi, a deep breath later, I had forgotten to connect the WiFi antenna.  Doh!  Once connected I was up and running, a quick test and started a Q.  I had to order a step drill bit for the probe hole so did not finish that until a week later, with the fan I mentioned.

Sum it up, very doable, pick a nice day as I did and do not be rushed.  Watch the video and read the instructions and you will knock it out and be proud of what you completed!

Let us know how you fair.
  • #10 by Shaneskee on 23 Apr 2020
  • Thank you protoge2k. Yeah I have the ceramic hot rod. My original one went out.

This is my second thermocouple to go out though. The issue I'm having right now is it gets to the set temp then goes straight into cool down and no longer shows internal temp only the set temp. I'm wondering if the ceramic hot rod messes with the old controller. Mine was made 12/19/15. I would like to avoid spending $400 extra dollars if I can. Even though I'd like to upgrade I'd like to save money at the moment. Hopefully this one lasts.

Can any of you who upgraded give an update to the new controller? Is it worth it? Have you noticed an improvement in the burn rate?

I upgraded my YS640 about 2 weeks ago, some background, my grill is from 2012. 

To date I have the blanket (you need a blanket - saves pellets and runs well all year), new wheels, new diffuser, new burn grate, ceramic igniter (this is a must have), new smoked grates, new bucket, and now ACS controller.

The ACS is an early birthday gift since we are in stay at home mode, I bought it early - my model also required a new outside fan, fan diffuser, the short thermocouple, and optional probe kit (included).  In short, the $400 ish kit. 

Prepare yourself for some work, this took me a solid hour and a half.  Watch the video first, then watch it again - seriously, this helps relieve any anxiety about what you will do.  Lay out your tools, ratchets, drill (be careful using one as you can strip the machine screws if not careful), bring your patience!!!

Couple unique issues, getting the 8 year old seasoned screws out to release the hopper from the grill, moving the thermocouple by drilling new holes and installation.  Couple of areas in the written instructions where I would have like a clear, what side does the washer face, areas - all in, instructions are impressive.

Once completed, I set the model in the ACS and could not connect to WiFi, a deep breath later, I had forgotten to connect the WiFi antenna.  Doh!  Once connected I was up and running, a quick test and started a Q.  I had to order a step drill bit for the probe hole so did not finish that until a week later, with the fan I mentioned.

Sum it up, very doable, pick a nice day as I did and do not be rushed.  Watch the video and read the instructions and you will knock it out and be proud of what you completed!

Let us know how you fair.
  • #11 by protege2k on 23 Apr 2020
  • Glad you mentioned your issue, I would contact Yoder as they have always taken care of any issues.  One change they have for the new controller is insulation to specifically keep heat off new controller. 

The insulation is between the hopper and mailbox, it attaches on the right outside of the hopper, side bolted to the main box.

Even if you are looking to buy the new ACS, call them first to troubleshoot.  Anytime I have had temp issues, it was the Thermocouple.
  • #12 by Shaneskee on 24 Apr 2020
  • I've reach out to then but haven't uey received a response. They are typically very quick to respond so my guess is they either short staffed or something like that with all that's going on. I've read where others have had the same issue and it's been the thermocouple.

This is my 2nd one since I've replaced the hot rod. I'm wondering if that some how isn't always compatible with the older controllers. The insulation makes total sense. It may be worth upgrading the controller to avoid having to buy another thermocouple AND upgrade the controller at the Sametime again. Taking these things apart isn't hard but I would not say it's fun either  lol.

Have you noticed an improvement in your pellet burn rate with the new controller or any difference at all outside of the technological conveniences?

Glad you mentioned your issue, I would contact Yoder as they have always taken care of any issues.  One change they have for the new controller is insulation to specifically keep heat off new controller. 

The insulation is between the hopper and mailbox, it attaches on the right outside of the hopper, side bolted to the main box.

Even if you are looking to buy the new ACS, call them first to troubleshoot.  Anytime I have had temp issues, it was the Thermocouple.
  • #13 by protege2k on 24 Apr 2020
  • I've reach out to then but haven't uey received a response. They are typically very quick to respond so my guess is they either short staffed or something like that with all that's going on. I've read where others have had the same issue and it's been the thermocouple.

This is my 2nd one since I've replaced the hot rod. I'm wondering if that some how isn't always compatible with the older controllers. The insulation makes total sense. It may be worth upgrading the controller to avoid having to buy another thermocouple AND upgrade the controller at the Sametime again. Taking these things apart isn't hard but I would not say it's fun either  lol.

Have you noticed an improvement in your pellet burn rate with the new controller or any difference at all outside of the technological conveniences?

Glad you mentioned your issue, I would contact Yoder as they have always taken care of any issues.  One change they have for the new controller is insulation to specifically keep heat off new controller. 

For perspective, I was on my third 'long' thermocouple - the one that was originally on the back wall of the main box.  I think those things are like the probes, some times they just get old or simply stop working.   

The new "short" thermocouple seems like a cool design but since it is over or near the firebox I could see potential issues - do you have the long or short one?

Side note, if you do not get a timely response, you could try replacing the thermocouple by buying it at one of their distributors to save some time.
  • #14 by Shaneskee on 24 Apr 2020
  • I have the short one on the side wall. I did order the thermocouple a couple days ago. But I'm considering upgrading the the ACS controller as well.

Was also just thinking that I do a lot of grilling on it too with the grill grates. I have the diffuser with the pull out. I wonder if all that heat hitting the thermocouple also causes issues.

Oh well. Lol
Pages:
Actions