Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Yoder

New YS640 controler

<< < (2/3) > >>

JBsuperG:

--- Quote from: Chicagolandbiker on April 27, 2019, 08:59:06 AM ---I've been debating on upgrading from my Traeger Lil Tex to either their new Timberline series or the 640.  The 640S may push me in the direction of the Yoder now.  Decisions decisions

--- End quote ---
I have been looking at the same to grills. The Timberline seems to have a lot of problems. I think I'm going to move to the Yoder.

spectra:
Been using the ceramic starter for about 8 months now and works great............. got the ACS for Christmas so need some downtime so I can do a really good cleaning and re paint and install it on the 480..........

Shaneskee:
Can any of you who upgraded give an update to the new controller? Is it worth it? Have you noticed an improvement in the burn rate?

I think the thermocouple couple is going out on mine and am looking at upgrading the controller too.

protege2k:

--- Quote from: Shaneskee on April 22, 2020, 09:52:32 AM ---Can any of you who upgraded give an update to the new controller? Is it worth it? Have you noticed an improvement in the burn rate?

I think the thermocouple couple is going out on mine and am looking at upgrading the controller too.

--- End quote ---
I upgraded my YS640 about 2 weeks ago, some background, my grill is from 2012. 

To date I have the blanket (you need a blanket - saves pellets and runs well all year), new wheels, new diffuser, new burn grate, ceramic igniter (this is a must have), new smoked grates, new bucket, and now ACS controller.

The ACS is an early birthday gift since we are in stay at home mode, I bought it early - my model also required a new outside fan, fan diffuser, the short thermocouple, and optional probe kit (included).  In short, the $400 ish kit. 

Prepare yourself for some work, this took me a solid hour and a half.  Watch the video first, then watch it again - seriously, this helps relieve any anxiety about what you will do.  Lay out your tools, ratchets, drill (be careful using one as you can strip the machine screws if not careful), bring your patience!!!

Couple unique issues, getting the 8 year old seasoned screws out to release the hopper from the grill, moving the thermocouple by drilling new holes and installation.  Couple of areas in the written instructions where I would have like a clear, what side does the washer face, areas - all in, instructions are impressive.

Once completed, I set the model in the ACS and could not connect to WiFi, a deep breath later, I had forgotten to connect the WiFi antenna.  Doh!  Once connected I was up and running, a quick test and started a Q.  I had to order a step drill bit for the probe hole so did not finish that until a week later, with the fan I mentioned.

Sum it up, very doable, pick a nice day as I did and do not be rushed.  Watch the video and read the instructions and you will knock it out and be proud of what you completed!

Let us know how you fair.

Shaneskee:
Thank you protoge2k. Yeah I have the ceramic hot rod. My original one went out.

This is my second thermocouple to go out though. The issue I'm having right now is it gets to the set temp then goes straight into cool down and no longer shows internal temp only the set temp. I'm wondering if the ceramic hot rod messes with the old controller. Mine was made 12/19/15. I would like to avoid spending $400 extra dollars if I can. Even though I'd like to upgrade I'd like to save money at the moment. Hopefully this one lasts.

--- Quote from: protege2k on April 23, 2020, 12:03:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: Shaneskee on April 22, 2020, 09:52:32 AM ---Can any of you who upgraded give an update to the new controller? Is it worth it? Have you noticed an improvement in the burn rate?

--- End quote ---
I upgraded my YS640 about 2 weeks ago, some background, my grill is from 2012. 

To date I have the blanket (you need a blanket - saves pellets and runs well all year), new wheels, new diffuser, new burn grate, ceramic igniter (this is a must have), new smoked grates, new bucket, and now ACS controller.

The ACS is an early birthday gift since we are in stay at home mode, I bought it early - my model also required a new outside fan, fan diffuser, the short thermocouple, and optional probe kit (included).  In short, the $400 ish kit. 

Prepare yourself for some work, this took me a solid hour and a half.  Watch the video first, then watch it again - seriously, this helps relieve any anxiety about what you will do.  Lay out your tools, ratchets, drill (be careful using one as you can strip the machine screws if not careful), bring your patience!!!

Couple unique issues, getting the 8 year old seasoned screws out to release the hopper from the grill, moving the thermocouple by drilling new holes and installation.  Couple of areas in the written instructions where I would have like a clear, what side does the washer face, areas - all in, instructions are impressive.

Once completed, I set the model in the ACS and could not connect to WiFi, a deep breath later, I had forgotten to connect the WiFi antenna.  Doh!  Once connected I was up and running, a quick test and started a Q.  I had to order a step drill bit for the probe hole so did not finish that until a week later, with the fan I mentioned.

Sum it up, very doable, pick a nice day as I did and do not be rushed.  Watch the video and read the instructions and you will knock it out and be proud of what you completed!

Let us know how you fair.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View