Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: National B B Q Month  (Read 495 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
National B B Q Month
« on: May 03, 2019, 10:00:02 AM »

It is here... Are you ready?  It has been a long hard Winter for some of us. It seems as if mother nature has been doing her best to keep me away from my pits up until just lately. What a relief!

"Happy Cooking" to one and all.

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: National B B Q Month
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 10:08:07 AM »

I'm ready.  Ribs on Sunday.  Also an assortment of other things for tacos and margaritas.  Probably beef and chicken as well ingredients for smoked/roasted salsa and peppers.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 10:59:18 AM »

Smoking pork jerky on Saturday.  We have 30-35# of raw pork loins to trim and get into marinade this afternoon and then smoke tomorrow.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 01:09:38 PM »

Will be doing some Roast Beef later in the month!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 01:24:48 PM »

I'm lucky. Where I live it doesn't get cold enough to keep me from smoking year round  :cool:
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

sharpstick

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 01:42:48 PM »

BBLEW, would you mind sharing your Pork jerky recipe. This is one item I want to tackle this spring as I have heard many good reviews about Pork jerky... not to mention it is so much cheaper than beef up here in Canada.
Thank you and happy BBQ month to al.
Have a Grillin Good Day!

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 03:07:19 PM »

Will be doing some Roast Beef later in the month!
Be real interested in that, I have tried several times, tasted O.K. but not the rare, tender, melt in your mouth that I can buy.
Sure would like to know what you use roast wise (top sirloin here) and cook, season prep wise.

BBL also interested in the pork jerky recipe, not tried that ever.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 06:26:12 PM »

I just want to repay Dennis for getting the tractor out, so was just gonna buy some Costco beef and cook to about 120°, cool slice and vac seal.  I figured they could boil enough to get it to the doneness they like.  I do need to work on taste, as round or ball or what i will end up using will be so lean, flavor will be a concern!  We did not get to Costco last night, so may try and look at the bargain bin at RD next week and see if I can score a higher marbled cut for same price there!  Might be the time to break out the sodium phosphate and mix up some seasoning and inject!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 11:11:24 PM »

We have 30# of raw meat that we trimmed and put in marinade today.  Frank's stingin honey garlic, Lawrey's chipotle molasses, and teriyaki.  Just slice the meat and through in the marinade and mix it up so that all the meat gets coated and soaked over night.  Tomorrow morning, we will put on the smokers on smoke mode on the MAK and 180° on the Memphis and cook for 2-3 hours.  I put them on frogmats that will fit on the trays of my Cabella's dehydrators.  Will dehydrate for about 2 hours at 160° and then put in the fridge overnight or let in the garage in brown paper bags to continue to let it dry out.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 12:04:45 AM »

What section of pork do you use and how is it cut for dehydrating?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 08:10:48 AM »

What section of pork do you use and how is it cut for dehydrating?

Pork loin that I ran through my jerky slicer that has 1/4" cuts.

urnmor

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 08:47:14 AM »

Am I alone in this?  I just get tired of all of these special months and days:  daughter day son day cat day BBQ month this day and that day.  It just seems it is a method of trying to get us to spend our money their way.  I love my family everyday, the cat gets her massages everyday.  I BBQ year round whether it is cold, hot, windy, wet or dry.  Think about it Christmas now begins in Sept, Valentine days begins right after Dec 25 and Easter begins right after Valentin day.

In fact when I traveled a lot I use to bring homes gifts for the children and Claire all of the time.  She always told me to save them until Christmas of course I did not as life is to short  not to enjoy the moment.

Sorry for the rant however I am getting too old to be told when to celebrate what and when.

Happy BBQ Day

dk117

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 09:57:01 AM »

Am I alone in this?  I just get tired of all of these special months and days:  daughter day son day cat day BBQ month this day and that day.  It just seems it is a method of trying to get us to spend our money their way.  I love my family everyday, the cat gets her massages everyday.  I BBQ year round whether it is cold, hot, windy, wet or dry.  Think about it Christmas now begins in Sept, Valentine days begins right after Dec 25 and Easter begins right after Valentin day.

In fact when I traveled a lot I use to bring homes gifts for the children and Claire all of the time.  She always told me to save them until Christmas of course I did not as life is to short  not to enjoy the moment.

Sorry for the rant however I am getting too old to be told when to celebrate what and when.

Happy BBQ Day
I mostly agree with this sentiment, BUT, it's always nice to have an excuse to make some corned beef (St. Patricks Day) or some tacos al pastor (Cinco de Mayo) or way too much smoked turkey (Thanksgiving.)    I hate Hallmark as much as the next guy, but I enjoy the traditional seasonality of many meals. 
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

Ralphie

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 01:35:15 PM »

Happy BBQ Day

While I do sometimes get bothered by Hallmark Holidays, I do like the holidays/celebrations/traditions that are focused on meat and drink!
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13
Pages: [1]   Go Up