Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st Jerky Cook of 2019  (Read 756 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
1st Jerky Cook of 2019
« on: May 05, 2019, 08:03:50 AM »

Had about 25# of raw pork loin that we trimmed up on Friday afternoon, ran through the LEM jerky slicer, and put into marinades - Frank's Stingin' Honey Garlic, Lawry's Chipotle molasses, and a Teriyaki.  We usually make a dry rub to apply before putting on the smoker that is similar in flavor profile to the marinade.  I used the side chamber on the MAK for the first time for jerky.  I had the grill set at 350° and the chamber only ran about 120°.  I was pleased with smoke profile but not the drying.  We smoke for 2-3 hours and then dehydrate for 2-3 hours at 160°.  Then we throw the jerky in brown paper bags and put in the fridge for 30-60 minutes to help further dry before vac sealing.

MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Re: 1st Jerky Cook of 2019
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 09:35:08 AM »

That looks good. Does the brown bag/fridge trick help good? Never tried it.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 07:16:24 PM »

I think it works.  Meat seems to be less sticky and does not appear to be as much moisture on the meat surface.  Those that sampled today said it wasn't dry like store bought usually is.  So, outside not moist, interior not brittle.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 08:03:20 PM »

I have some loin in the freezer.  I for the life of me can't imagine what this tastes like.  I guess I should make a small batch!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

yorkdude

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 08:31:39 PM »

So far so good, test batch and taste pretty dang good. No rotation on the pictures but they are not sequential. Thanks BBL, I will do it again.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 08:35:58 PM by yorkdude »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 09:09:58 PM »

Most people would have thought it was beef had I not told them it was pork.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 09:48:54 PM »

It figures my Wal-mart is out of stock on the Franks!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 08:21:11 AM »

It figures my Wal-mart is out of stock on the Franks!

I buy it at Weis.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 03:26:03 PM »

A few pics of the finished product.  I think was Chipotle Molasses marinade by Lawry's.  I smoke and dehydrate on frogmats which causes the grid marks on the meat.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 04:39:28 PM »

That looks good. Does the brown bag/fridge trick help good? Never tried it.

I should really put it in the bags and in the fridge over night before sealing.  We are usually too drunk and want to split up the jerky that night.  It would probably be better for us waiting as we always either forget to label bags or label them with the wrong flavor.  But we have a great time all day.

yorkdude

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 04:55:49 PM »

I did not follow your recipe, just used a dry cure and the loin you saw to give it a go.
Flavor was really good, surprised me actually, I wasn't expecting it to taste that good.
I am going to follow your steps next go and it has made me start thinking again about a dehydrator. Had an Excalibur and loved it but it quit and I tossed it.
This came out too (crumbly) dry and thinking the dehydrator will help with that.
I have also indulged a bit much on occasion so know what you mean there.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 06:05:46 PM »

I bought these on sale at Cabella's and they work great for me and are very easy to clean.  When we do a really big cook, my buddy brings his dehydrator too - he has the small one pictured.  Using three works through it good.  They hold 10-12# each.

yorkdude

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 06:41:14 PM »

I am looking at the “gourmia 1950” I think on that big company. By chance is that what you have? Kinda similar look.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 07:23:39 PM »

I am looking at the “gourmia 1950” I think on that big company. By chance is that what you have? Kinda similar look.

I have 12 tray Pro Series and 10 tray Deluxe both by Cabella's and they are supposed to have lifetime warranty for their brand.  I think I got them on sale for $120 and $100 around the holiday season.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 12:39:05 PM »

We had another jerky cook yesterday - about 30# of beef london broil cuts.  We spent a few hours on Friday trimming the fat from the meat and running it through the jerky slicer.  Yesterday, we started about noon and finished around 7 pm with a few trays still going in the dehydrator when I packed it in for the night.  This time (the first time in the 5-6 times we made jerky) we got all of the different flavors properly labeled and no bags without a label on them.  Since we once again had too many beers, we placed all the jerky in labeled brown paper bags and put into the fridge overnight.  My buddy came back over to the house today and we vac sealed them up.  I made a frozen pizza on the MAK at 350° yesterday that my buddy loved...haha.  So, today, I threw the 2nd one on that he brought over yesterday.  They both had a nice wood oven flavor to them that was not overpowering.  Now, I need to rest and recover today.  I think we each got about 5+ lbs of jerky.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up