Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st Jerky Cook of 2019  (Read 757 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: 1st Jerky Cook of 2019
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 01:41:53 PM »

Are the brown bags providing anything more than acting as a container?  Would you get the same drying result by putting the product on stackable racks?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 02:41:47 PM »

from what i read the brown bags helps to continue to absorb any moisture still on the top of the meat.  I think it helps to dry the tops of the meat before vac sealing.  And, we were in no condition to be doing any vac sealing by the time the jerky was finished in the dehydrator.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 06:27:12 PM »

from what i read the brown bags helps to continue to absorb any moisture still on the top of the meat.  I think it helps to dry the tops of the meat before vac sealing.  And, we were in no condition to be doing any vac sealing by the time the jerky was finished in the dehydrator.
I have heard the same thing but have never “brown bagged” ours. I need to try it because sometimes if I don’t let it dry out, it has some grease  spots on it. Tastes fine, in my opinion but it’s still probably off-putting to some.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2019, 06:38:37 PM »

I bought a case of small brown bags at the Restaurant Store.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 08:38:15 AM »

Never heard of the brown paper bag technique... if it really does help keep the outside of jerky less sticky/wet, that would be a wonderful thing..  Always annoying to have to carry around paper towels when I eat my home made jerky ( because the outside is always got a layer of wet ( but tasty ) goo on it).   I'm going to have to try it for sure.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up