Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pizza Toppings  (Read 869 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Pizza Toppings
« on: May 11, 2019, 12:35:33 PM »

Searching for some more exotic toppings to make-up or add to our sourdough pizza dough. Have done: Ranch dressing/caramelized onion and BBQ chicken breast with cheese.

Most of the regular and normal toppings are becoming mundane. That is what is driving the question..

The sourdough dough remains as good to excellent, something we don't wish to  change.

I know just about anything that will fit qualifies as a toping and our tastes vary. Ideas please.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Pizza Toppings
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 01:06:47 PM »

I hate most fish as you know, but man does anchovy paste kick a pizza sauce up a notch!  If you are looking for toppings, you probably have gone through everything I like on one and then some, so no idea how to help there.  I think it is a horrible idea, but have you ever tried pulled pork, with a lite BBQ sauce to replace the traditional?   Add a lite coat of chopped onions and pickles and you have the McRib Pizza! 

I heard about a white sauce and clam pizza being sold some where in CT, or another NE state.  That has always interested me, but without ever having eaten one, not sure how to deconstruct it and make it my own!  Or whether I would even like it!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 01:50:27 PM »

One of my favorites when I was still making pizzas (fell by the wayside for something shiny that flashed before my eyes, can’t remember what anymore) was brats, sauerkraut, and carmelized onions.   I had it in my mind to try to incorporate mustard either as a drizzle or in the sauce somehow, but never got around to it. 
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 02:10:25 PM »

I like cheese, mushrooms and chucks of pineapple.

MysticRhythms

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 02:54:25 PM »

When I was kid my dad's favorite pizza was shrimp and mushrooms. Pretty sure it was salad shrimp but it was a long time ago.
Pineapple would probably taste good on there as well.
Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 03:20:04 PM »

Growing up in NY, I personally don't care much for toppings. Pizza made with a really good crust, simple sauce, some grated hard cheese, and whole milk mozz doesn't need anything else for me. But, I usually end up adding pepperoni and/or mushrooms for the rest of the family.

However, one of my son's favorites is clam and bacon, and we all enjoy that. I just add chopped clams from a can, and par cook the bacon till just before crispy before topping.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 07:00:38 PM »

I would recommend picking up Joe Beddia's Pizza Camp book. He has some interesting combos in there.

Also, something I do is go on Yelp. Type in pizza in some bigger cities like Chicago, New York, etc. Take a look at the pictures, and go to some of the websites of the ones that look unique. Check out the menus and lift some of their ideas.

Check out Paulie Gees website. I recreate their xxxx Boy pizza quite often. Soppressata and hot honey.

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 08:52:31 PM »

Never had it, but how 'bout ground lamb or a lamb sausage (might hold up well with the sourdough crust), feta (instead of the mozz), olive oil, garlic and fresh mint to top?  More of a non-sauce type pizza.  Could still go with the pizza sauce too if you wanted less of a "dry" type pie. 

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 08:16:19 AM »

I'm staying as far away from this topic as I can.
Won't take another peek at it.
I am a pizza aficionado .
The pizzas that I eat are dang good., and I have no desire to venture off of this delicious path.
I won't pick on any individual writing at this time, but there is in this topic - a list of ways to completely destroy a beautiful thing.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 10:20:39 AM »

Ahh, a non pineapple person...they are out there!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 10:29:04 AM »

Some of the people I work with really like jalapeno and pineapple.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

KeithG

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 10:37:13 AM »

How about a philly cheese steak pizza or a Schwarma pizza or a gyro pizza. One could look at pizza as a flatbread so one could think pita fillings might make a good pizza. Never tried it but you got me thinking.
RecTec RT-680, WSM 18, MES30, Weber Genesis

GREG-B

• Washougal WA
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 12:17:00 PM »

Guess I'm more of a purist when it comes to toppings.   Pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, mozzarella and homemade sauce.  Topped with pepper flakes.  Guess I don't have it enough to tire of it and want something exotic.  My brothers just the opposite, bbq chicken is his go-to.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 04:34:51 PM »

Pizza for me is simple, I love a good white pizza with tomato and maybe some black olives. Normal pizza favorite is a thin crisp crust with sausage onions and mushrooms.

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 06:25:02 PM »

You can read the menu on CPK`s site, that might spawn a few ideas.  Carmelized onions go great with fresh basil.  Goat cheese thinned with cream can be used as a sauce.  All of these items work well with the black pepper coated salami.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:05:58 AM by Darwin »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up