Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Commercial injections  (Read 402 times)

BC Buck

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Commercial injections
« on: May 12, 2019, 11:03:44 AM »

Thinking about trying commercial injections for pork and briskets. Would like to stay away from anything unhealthy like MSG. What do you guys like.

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: Commercial injections
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 03:50:30 PM »

I like injections from Kosmos and Butcher's BBQ. Most injections I know of have a lot of sodium so that might be a concern for you.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

BC Buck

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 05:43:12 PM »

Those are the two I here people who compete use. Salt does not bother me, matter a fact I probably use to much. I see on Pitmasters them slicing there flat and they are incredibly moist. Was told phosphates in there injection are what keeps meat moist. I do know some of Butchers products contain MSG.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 06:32:33 PM »

You should just purchase some sodium phosphate and mix up your own.  You know better then anyone the flavor you are looking for in your beef.  It is so much easier to customize it that way!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BC Buck

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 06:57:57 AM »

You should just purchase some sodium phosphate and mix up your own.  You know better then anyone the flavor you are looking for in your beef.  It is so much easier to customize it that way!

Bentley  Eventually I will temped this, but as for now I dont have enough experience on what would make good flavor profiles. The smartest thing iv done in the last year was getting away from me making my own rubs and using commercial rubs pros win with.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 09:11:54 AM »

I am the opposite: I have steered away from commercial rubs and sauces for reasons such as preservatives, colouring, high sodium and content that I can't relate to food.  Sugar has been replaced in most

cases by less expensive corn syrup. The list goes on.. I continue to use a few rubs and sauces that work very well for us. They are easily made ant the flavour enhancement is top drawer.  :2cents:

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 10:04:28 AM »

Bentley  Eventually I will temped this, but as for now I dont have enough experience on what would make good flavor profiles. The smartest thing iv done in the last year was getting away from me making my own rubs and using commercial rubs pros win with.

Start reading their ingredient labels and attempt to replicate.  You will soon learn how each spice impacts the flavor and a new world will open for you not only for BBQ seasoning but for anything else you cook.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 10:39:44 AM »

That is what I meant.  I do not make my own rubs, and I really don't make my own injections.  I take the sodium phosphate, add X rub (or salt and pepper if it is that simple), add water or beef stock,(whatever), mix and inject!  The sodium phosphate is pretty neutral in flavor, at least for me. it just helps with distribution of the other flavors throughout the meat, and as you mentioned, it keeps it moist!

...but as for now I dont have enough experience on what would make good flavor profiles. The smartest thing iv done in the last year was getting away from me making my own rubs and using commercial rubs pros win with.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up