Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meat Probe  (Read 1463 times)

RanrocSmoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Meat Probe
« on: May 20, 2019, 02:56:29 PM »

I didn’t see this answered in search, so please direct me to the post if it has been answered.

Do you have to use the Memphis brand meat probe with their current Controller? Or can you use a cheaper meat probe like the one that used to be used with the previous controller?

Looks like those current ITC meat probes are about $80 each. The previous ones for the Roanoke style PID can be bought for about $35 I think. Just curious if $35 probe will work on the newer models. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Meat Probe
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 03:29:38 PM »

I dont have a model with that ability, so not sure.  Do you have the 3rd party probe?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 03:38:38 PM »

I dont have a model with that ability, so not sure.  Do you have the 3rd party probe?

No. I’m trying to guess based on photos of the newer probe vs the ones used on the previous model. I’m thinking if the plug fits, it should work. I guess I could just ask Memphis, but I didn’t want to get caught up with any sales pitch.

I’m 99% sure I’m going to purchase the new Beale Street model when it comes out in July. The info I got from Memphis says that the meat probe (and direct flame insert, genie tool and cover) is optional purchase for this model. :(

Looking to see if I can save some $$$ by purchasing a less expensive meat probe that will work.

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 04:03:43 PM »

My guess is not, but that is an educated guess.  The only grill I have seen with an open source meat probe is the new MAK that uses the K type probes that are typically more expensive but can be used universally (I think).  I know I tried a Thermoworks probe on my Memphis and it didn't work, but I have a 5+ year old model.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 04:08:10 PM »

My guess is not, but that is an educated guess.  The only grill I have seen with an open source meat probe is the new MAK that uses the K type probes that are typically more expensive but can be used universally (I think).  I know I tried a Thermoworks probe on my Memphis and it didn't work, but I have a 5+ year old model.
I appreciate the input!

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 04:47:23 PM »

I have a Blaz'n GS and the probe recently failed.  I called Tim for replacement, but declined because of the price of $38 Plus shipping.  I noted that La smokers use the same type control, so I found their probe replacement to be $19, shipped.  Bought it and it works perfectly.  Just FYI. Also, there are a bunch of similar controls from China for even less.  (no thanks, tho) FYI

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 09:33:39 PM »

I have a Blaz'n GS and the probe recently failed.  I called Tim for replacement, but declined because of the price of $38 Plus shipping.  I noted that La smokers use the same type control, so I found their probe replacement to be $19, shipped.  Bought it and it works perfectly.  Just FYI. Also, there are a bunch of similar controls from China for even less.  (no thanks, tho) FYI
Thanks!

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle
Pages: [1]   Go Up