Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 21 May 2019
  • As the subject of will an other probe work for my application comes up every so often, I thought a list of will-fits would be helpful. Some reasons for a replacement are; cost, reliability and availability.

Unfortunately I am unable to input any replacement at the present..My only suggestions are: Is the jack (male plug) the same size, and is the resistance (ohms) the same at the same temperature? This is

no guarantee the probe will work, just eliminates several factors..

The information profile should look something like this:

- Probe Being Replaced - Manufacturer________________, Part #__________, Cost $______, Dimensions ___________________, Special Feathers______________________________ if any, and why

the original probe failed, including how long it lasted___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

- Replacement Probe - Manufacturer_________________, Part#,___________, Cost$______, Dimensions_____________________Special Features______________________________,Where purchased

if not a well known retailer_______________________________________________________________________________________.
  • #2 by Bentley on 21 May 2019
  • Thank you.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 May 2019
  • A story I have heard from one or two manufacturers is that there is something in the probe cable that interacts with their controller in a way that makes other probes not work.  I don't know whether that is a sales pitch or not.  I do know I tried a Thermoworks probe in my Memphis and it did not work even though it had the same male end on the cable.
  • #4 by bregent on 21 May 2019
  • Most temperature probes used in grills and consumer thermometers are RTD's.  There are many different resistance values manufactures can choose from, and if they are not identical they cannot be interchanged. The plug might fit, and you might get a reading, but it will not be accurate. It might be advantageous for the mfg to use a value that is different from their competitors so you won't be able to get replacements from another source.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 17 Apr 2020
  • Most temperature probes used in grills and consumer thermometers are RTD's.  There are many different resistance values manufactures can choose from, and if they are not identical they cannot be interchanged. The plug might fit, and you might get a reading, but it will not be accurate. It might be advantageous for the mfg to use a value that is different from their competitors so you won't be able to get replacements from another source.
    Thermoworks Pro probes (Dot, Smoke ettc.) are thermistor, not RTD.
Pages:
Actions