Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 27 May 2019
  • At our yearly Port Ludlow Memorial Day outing we have an interesting way to smoke salmon.   :lick:
  • #2 by pmillen on 27 May 2019
  • I think my family had salmon prepared like that at the Tillicum Village on Blake Island.
  • #3 by Bentley on 27 May 2019
  • So the fenders work that well with that close a grouping?
  • #4 by Mudflap on 27 May 2019
  • So how do you get your boat out?
  • #5 by hughver on 27 May 2019
  • Bentley, Most of the fenders are 10-12" in diameter and each boat has 3 or 4 on both port and starboard.

Mudflap, We get the boats out the same way we got them in. First boats to arrive tie to the dock based length. Larger boats, 50+ foot, med tie (hold one end with an anchor). The biggest boat, 93', tied its stern to the end of the dock with its anchor set, subsequent large boats raft to it with their anchors also set.  The second row, 45 to -50 foot, tie to the dock with rafters and so forth with the smallest boats, 28 to 32 foot, closest  to shore. They depart in reverse order, i.e., FILO.

We get on and off the boats simply by walking across the swim grid (step) of each boat which are lined up. There was around 50 boats and in excess of 250 people at the four day event.
  • #6 by ArborAgent on 28 May 2019
  • That's a cool setup. But after 20 years in the PNW, I still can't stand hot smoked salmon. Lox are the proper way to smoke salmon :)
  • #7 by yorkdude on 28 May 2019
  • Man that looks really neat, is it usually the same group of folks?
  • #8 by Mudflap on 28 May 2019
  • Bentley, Most of the fenders are 10-12" in diameter and each boat has 3 or 4 on both port and starboard.

Mudflap, We get the boats out the same way we got them in. First boats to arrive tie to the dock based length. Larger boats, 50+ foot, med tie (hold one end with an anchor). The biggest boat, 93', tied its stern to the end of the dock with its anchor set, subsequent large boats raft to it with their anchors also set.  The second row, 45 to -50 foot, tie to the dock with rafters and so forth with the smallest boats, 28 to 32 foot, closest  to shore. They depart in reverse order, i.e., FILO.

We get on and off the boats simply by walking across the swim grid (step) of each boat which are lined up. There was around 50 boats and in excess of 250 people at the four day event.

So you only park this way for this event? I was just trying to figure out how you would get out if you were the only one at the dock that day.

How long does it take to smoke the salmon?

Mudflap
  • #9 by hughver on 28 May 2019
  • The group are all members of the Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club located a couple of blocks from downtown Bellevue, WA. ( WWW.MBYC.org ). To me, it seems that the salmon cook amazingly fast, slabs are from 15-20 lb. wild caught king salmon and cook for 1-2 hours until IT hits ~125°. The club owns a three acre site on the southern shore of Port Ludlow with a 150'+ private dock. Memorial Day is our single largest event there but we dock that way whenever the demand dictates.
  • #10 by pmillen on 26 Jun 2020
  • Hugh, there's an "X" across your avatar now.  And the text, "Not Summer Home."  Is there a story you might share?
  • #11 by hughver on 26 Jun 2020
  • The story is the same as almost every other story is about today, the virus. Ever since we joined the yacht club in 2009' we've spent 3-4 months living on our boat cruising the waters of Puget Sound and the Canadian Gulf Islands, normally 2 months in Canada and 1-2 months in the sound. The club either owns or leases 9 out stations in both the sound and Canada at which we can stay for free. This year, both the state of Washington and the province of British Columbia have closed their ports to outsiders. We sold our home in WA in 2011 so we have no place to live other than the boat. We can stay on the boat for a week or so in the marina but live aboard is not allowed. Hence it no longer our summer home. If and when the virus is under control, we'll head north for the remainder of the summer.
  • #12 by Bentley on 26 Jun 2020
  • Wow that is a bummer!  I do not envy you for the summer!  Maybe me and you should bring your boat down to Puerto Penasco.  Its only 2600 Nautical miles, drop in the bucket.  And only like a 4 hours away from you!  Although, probably the same temperature, so not probably the best!
  • #13 by Canadian John on 27 Jun 2020

•  Mighty good looking.  That's original planking, that led to the common planks most people use and know.
Pages:
Actions