Poll: Do You Use a Sauce (any kind but not referring to condiments) on Grilled Meats?

Always
- 1 (2.8%)
Often
- 1 (2.8%)
Sometimes
- 24 (66.7%)
Never
- 10 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 28 May 2019
  • I read an article in the Washington Post this morning on sauces on grilled meats.  I have to confess, I am most familiar with what would probably be considered traditional or French sauces on grilled meats.  These in the article were more international (from the article): 

1.  Wolfgang Puck’s Chimichurri. Chock full of herbs, onion and garlic, this Argentine sauce packs a terrific punch.

2.  Raw Tomatillo and Chipotle Salsa Verde.  The raw tomatillos are delightfully tart, great for cutting through the fat of meat. .

3. Chile Pepper, Pea and Coconut Chutney. Sweet and spicy, Indian chutneys are versatile and delicious.

4. Garlic Paste (Toum). A Lebanese sauce particularly well-suited to grilled lamb.

5. Turkish Yogurt Sauce. You can pair this with grilled meats or vegetables, as well as spoon it over grains.

I have never used any of these types of sauces on grilled meats.  I enjoy a good dill sauce on grilled salmon and once made a jalapeno-pineapple sauce to go with grilled mahi mahi, but I don't often use sauces with other meats.  Probably the exception is very occasionally a sweet chutney with pork chops. 

What about you all -- are you sauce people?  If so, anything I would consider exotic or international in flavor?

• #2 by KeithG on 28 May 2019
  • Rarely. I enjoy the taste of grilled meat and don’t want to hide it with a sauce. The exception on occasion are boneless skinless chicken breasts which are fairly bland on there own. Then I might use a sweet Thai chili sauce to provide some extra flavor.

Keith
  • #3 by dk117 on 28 May 2019
  • I tried to get this conversation going two months ago.
    https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=3785.0

You put it better than I did, yet I think the answer is that we as a group largely don't use sauces on grilled meats.  And I'd like to learn more about sauces and give it a go.  Would love to hear more examples from others on PF.  This isn't an easily Googleable topic.   

DK
  • #4 by Bentley on 28 May 2019
  • A steak or a hamburger no.  A meat loaf, gyro or a taco yes...
  • #5 by okie smokie on 28 May 2019
  • Recently went back to 3:2:1 spare ribs and this time saved the natural juices (after removing the fat) when I opened and removed from the foil.  Poured some over the ribs after they were painted and on the grill for the last hour.  Fantastic.  I had placed brown sugar, honey, apple juice and small amount of Chalula hot sauce in the foil.  That made for wonderful sauce.  First time I ever did this. (after seeing someone do it in competition video).  The ribs were amazing. 
  • #6 by glitchy on 28 May 2019
  • I have made chimichurri sauce before (super easy too) and have used DeBurgo sauce as well on fillets. Other than that, only Au Jus and condiments. I would make chimichurri more, but don't have fresh parsley on hand usually. It's great if you've never tried it. I really like it on tri-tip.
  • #7 by pmillen on 28 May 2019
  • I only started cooking in earnest in 2010.  I ignored sauces for the first few years but have gradually increased my use.  I’m certainly not a saucier, but I’ve gotten to the point where I look forward to a sauce on grilled meat.  I had to rank my use at “Sometimes”.

I recently browned boneless skinless chicken breasts in a pan before smoke-roasting them.  Then I–
    • Added balsamic vinegar, chicken stock, fig jam and water to the pan
    • Brought it to a boil over medium-high heat, scraped up the fond and simmered it until it was slightly reduced
    • Removed the pan from the heat and stirred in 2 tablespoons of butter
    • Added in any juices from the rested chicken and seasoned it with salt and pepper
    • Divided the breasts between plates, sliced them and arranged the slices like fallen dominoes
    • Spooned the pan sauce over the chicken, added the sides and served
    I’d do that recipe again and I’m trying to add sauces more often.
  • #8 by GREG-B on 28 May 2019
  • Is herbed butter or BBQ sauce considered a condiment or sauce? Butter on steaks and maybe BBQ sauce on ribs.
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 28 May 2019
  • Is herbed butter or BBQ sauce considered a condiment or sauce? Butter on steaks and maybe BBQ sauce on ribs.

I consider these more condiment than sauce.  I think of a sauce as something like pmillen was making -- which sounded excellent!
  • #10 by cookingjnj on 28 May 2019
  • I love to marinate skirt steak with chimichurri for a few hours before grilling. Otherwise butter every now and then on a strip steak and Thai chilli sauce on grilled boneless skinless chicken thighs.  I do not think butter or the Thai chilli would count as a sauce anyway.
  • #11 by urnmor on 28 May 2019
  • I will use BBQ sauce when BBQing chicken and ribs other than that I will sometimes use a glaze on chicken or chops.  I do not use anything on my steaks when grilling, however, I will top with mushrooms cooked in a wine reduction or sautéed using beef stock
  • #12 by Darwin on 31 May 2019
  • Chimichurri, A-1, lemon or lime juice.  I like acidic sauces now. 
Pages:
Actions