Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Braised Pork Chile Verde  (Read 277 times)

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Braised Pork Chile Verde
« on: May 29, 2019, 02:07:32 PM »

My braised pork chile verde cook was based on a Traeger receipe.  My wife and daughter said this was the best thing I ever cooked on my smokers.  Traeger sent me the recipe a few months back and I kept watching the video over and over again.  It would make my stomach growl.  Costco sells packs of country style cut pork shoulder in 7 lb packs so I used one of those and doubled the recipe.  My cooking vessel was one of Lodge's 17 in skillets. 

I modified the recipe a bit to meet my liking.  The chicken stock specified in the recipe for 3 lbs of shoulder was a bit too much.  I used 2 1/2 cups for a doubled recipe and that that seemed like a bit much.  They called for "high temp" for the first part of the cook.  I set my grill at 400 F and my first part of the cook took roughly 30 minutes vs 20 minutes to get the vegetables to soften and brown slightly.  The last part of of the cook took 2 hours to get the liquid to thicken and to get the pork just right.

I never bought fresh tomatillos before.  These were purchased from Sprouts.  I bought 2 1/2 lbs and ended up throwing out 1/2 lb due to them being spoiled.  I'll open the husk to inspect next time before buying them.

Pictured below is the end result.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Braised Pork Chile Verde
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 02:24:48 PM »

Delicious looking dish!  I like my chili Colorado with flour tortillas, that I would want over rice!
"β€˜One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Th3Batman86

• I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 02:39:35 PM »

I love Chile Verde. I use my instapot but I smoke the meat on the RecTec and then sear it first. Throwing everything in the instapot is great and easy cleanup. I follow Kenji from SeriousEats recipe.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 02:50:33 PM »

That looks really good.  Pork chile verde is one of my favorites.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

ofelles

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 04:36:41 PM »

Love me some Chile Verde.  Looks delicious. 
A few years ago I was thinking (usually not good!) What else could I do along these lines, I like pork and I like tomatillos.  End result so far is a Chili Verde Enchilada Pork, tart pork chili with beans.
Yoder YS640
LSG 48" Santa Maria Grill
LSG Insulated Cabinet Smoker

JoeGrilling

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 05:40:17 PM »

The one thing I forgot to add was the pellet mix used.  I decided to go with 90% oak and 10% mesquite.  Mesquite can be bitter but adds a nice zing if used sparingly.

I think this was the first time for me to have verde sauce made with fresh ingredients.  It does seem to make a difference.  We typically buy the stuff Trader Joes sells and it doesn't come close.

This dish was made the weekend of Cinco de Mayo.  I may have lucked out because Sprouts had plenty of tomatillos on hand.  My tomatoes for the year had already been in the ground for two weeks.  I had space in the garden for a few extra plants so three tomatillo were planted.  A very interesting plant.  You need to grow two or more plants since they don't self pollinate.     

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 07:12:25 PM »

Grill the tomatillos cut in half until soft on your pellet grill. Put in a blender with some onion, Serrano peppers, cilantro, and lime juice. Amazing! 

Maybe that is similar to the recipe you used, but it's a great salsa/sauce either way.

Craig in Indy

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 09:28:02 PM »

There's nothing like fresh tomatillos. We make a tangy verde sauce out of them to serve on chicken enchiladas.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 08:54:51 AM »

And cooked in cast iron. Excellent looking and just has to taste good too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up