Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ZCZ on 31 May 2019
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Z
  • #2 by triplebq on 31 May 2019
  •  :cool:
  • #3 by Canadian John on 31 May 2019

•  Whoops. Does that mean the sun will replace our beloved pits?
  • #4 by pmillen on 31 May 2019
  • I encourage everyone to get into the habit of wearing sunscreen.

When I lived in Minnesota and North Dakota I kept a fishing log book in the hopes of establishing patterns that I could follow in subsequent years.  One year I fished over 400 hours.  Granted, some of that was at night, but nevertheless, that's a lot of sun exposure.  And it went on for several years.

Now I'm paying the price via periodic skin cancer treatments.  If you fish, use heavy sunscreen (but keep it off of your lures and bait).
  • #5 by dk117 on 31 May 2019
  • always good advice to wear sunscreen, but problem is that ... my research anyway, I'm no expert .... is that most damage that ultimately results in skin cancer is exposure prior to the age of 18.   So me running around in the 80's without a shirt or sunscreen is the problem and there's no way I can fix that.   Today I'll wear a hat and generally keep to the shade, not a perfect solution, but it's my comfort level.  I generally only wear sunscreen on vacation.

DK
  • #6 by Mudflap on 01 Jun 2019
  • First off I just wanted to say I liked the cartoon.  :cool:

My Dad is 79 and worked outside all his life and still is(but not as much) and never used sun screen and know is having to deal with skin cancer. He would usually have a hat on but worked in short sleeve shirts. So he had some on his face but from mid bicep down to the back of his hands is all skin cancer.

So I took him fishing the other day and I noticed he is doing better at avoiding the sun even at his age.

Mudflap
  • #7 by Canadian John on 01 Jun 2019
  •  
    Rarely wear sunscreen as it wasn't around years ago, or not as well accepted and used as it is today. There are alternatives.  I love the feeling of the warm sun. Makes me feel good..However, sun exposure

over many years, including sun burns, in an effort to get an early tan, has led to skin damage (A K ) and some skin cancers...Now it is a hat with a large brim*, long pants and long sleeved shirts, with crew

neck T-shirts.

With that said, I try and keep out of direct sunlight in the intense hours as much as possible.

* being Canadian, I have to put a plug in for "Tilley" hats. They make some excellent hats that offer very good sun protection.
  • #8 by dk117 on 01 Jun 2019
  • * being Canadian, I have to put a plug in for "Tilley" hats. They make some excellent hats that offer very good sun protection.

Small world, my mom is friends with Diane Tilley.  They spend half the year in Kauai, tough life for sure  :rotf:

DK
  • #9 by pmillen on 01 Jun 2019
  • * being Canadian, I have to put a plug in for "Tilley" hats. They make some excellent hats that offer very good sun protection.

Been wearing a Tilly for years.  For the past five years I've been seeing knockoffs that appear the same from 20 feet away.
  • #10 by Canadian John on 02 Jun 2019

• Rarely wear sunscreen as it wasn't around years ago, or not as well accepted and used as it is today. There are alternatives.  I love the feeling of the warm sun. Makes me feel good..However, sun exposure

over many years, including sun burns, in an effort to get an early tan, has led to skin damage (A K ) and some skin cancers...Now it is a hat with a large brim*, long pants and long sleeved shirts, with crew

neck T-shirts.

With that said, I try and keep out of direct sunlight in the intense hours as much as possible.

* being Canadian, I have to put a plug in for "Tilley" hats. They make some excellent hats that offer very good sun protection.
    My take on sunscreen. I don't like the feel of it. What damage it an do to some clothes, and mostly, the chemicals that are absorbed..Consumer Reports evaluates sunscreens yearly. The results are most interesting in that some sun screens, even with a higher SPF# don't necessarily protect as well as one would think...Then there is the reapply factor.. :2cents:
  • #11 by Bentley on 02 Jun 2019
  • I know I should use it on arms and legs, but I usually wear it on face, ears and neck.  The only thing I dont like about them is when I sweat, it gets in my eyes and this is not a pleasant experience.

I also remember a sales rep coming into office in the mid 80's and her telling me that anything thing over SPF 15 was redundant!
  • #12 by urnmor on 02 Jun 2019
  • My parents sunscreen was baby oil with a drop or two of iodine.  My Mom lived to 92 and my dad to 85 and to the best of my knowledge never had melanoma.  That said I have not been that lucky.  I had melanoma in my eye fortunately I was able to have surgery and all is well.  I also have had precancerous spots moved from my head and hand. 

Do I wish I use sunscreen more religiously the answer is yes and the same is for sunglasses.  Now I seldom ever leave the house without both.
Pages:
Actions