Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wild Swine  (Read 7269 times)

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
Re: Wild Swine
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 02:24:03 PM »

Italians do great things with wild boar. Maybe look there.
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

CaptJerry

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 07:14:54 AM »

Define 100% organic and I will tell you...

Beats me.  That's why I asked.  Are they still, "[A]s organic as it gets"?

Around these parts their primary diet is acorns and bugs.

Jstocks

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2018, 04:01:38 PM »

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and just browsed this topic. From experience, I'd like to add some thoughts.

First of all, any game meat is subject to prep and general meat quality. For example, Aged angus beef is always gonna be better quality than a dairy cow you knocked in the head, cut the straps out and took them straight to the grill. Just like beef, different hogs are gonna grade out a better cut.

Wild feral pigs, in general, are not gonna provide adequate marble, thus they are less desirable quality in general.

Secondly, if you are going to eat wild feral pigs, it's essential to select a desirable specimen for your intended purpose. A small 80ish lb hog is gonna be ideal in the fall. Generally speaking again, if killed this time of year, they are fat on acorns. You'll need a sow or a boat that doesn't stink. Any hog over this is gonna be suspect as a higher rate of failure to quality table fare. Also, you got to clean and take care of your meat immediately after the kill. This means aging in a cooler or ice chest.

You can catch larger hogs and eat them. Usually they need to be fed out for 8 weeks on grain. If it's a boar, you need to bar them (same as steer in beef). Most bigger hogs are better to be fattened and then used to make smoked sausage.

Hope these adds help someone. I'm by no means an expert but the above are the thought process I use pertaining to wild pork.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up