Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RT-680 Upgrades  (Read 2627 times)

KeithG

• Using less gas.
RT-680 Upgrades
« on: June 07, 2019, 10:47:44 AM »

I just finished upgrading my RT-680 to the new WiFi controller after upgrading to the ceramic hot rod system last year.

I will preface my remarks by saying I am 74 and handicapped. I have arthritis in most every joint and am on supplemental oxygen 24/7/365 due to a lung disease.

So given my issues I was ready to rip RECTEC a new one for the video of installing the new controller with the side shelf upside down on a workbench instead of lying on their back under the grill like the rest of us need to do. I shouldn’t have worried.

One lesson I learned from my first hot rod change years ago is to position the area I am working on over a drop cloth. I will drop at least one of those small screws and they will fall between the porch boards if there is no drop cloth.

I unplugged the grill and rolled the grill so the controller shelf was over the drop cloth. I then folded up an old towel and placed it over the edge of the bottom shelf to use as a headrest. Then down to my hands and knees, roll over and under the grill. Not too uncomfortable. Everything black under there so ask my wife to go get me a flashlight. Now I can see. Figure out which of the 3 Phillips head screwdrivers will work to remove screws. Largest worked best. 3 screws come out easily, 4th not so much. Finally get last screw without ruining slots (I hate Phillips head screws!). Figure out where to support bottom with wires attached. Will rest on top of shelf. Use angled needle nose pliers to remove wires from controller. Figure out what size socket/nut driver fits nuts holding controller in place. Remove nuts. Drop screw, wife finds on drop cloth. Compare old and new controllers. All wires connect in completely different locations. Install new controller. Drop screw, wife finds on drop cloth. Tighten nuts while wife holds screws with screwdriver, not sure I could have done alone. Connect wires. Reinstall bottom cover, drop 2 screws, wife finds on drop cloth. Crawl out from underneath get to porch railing pull myself up. Get into chair to catch breath while wife rolls grill in position to plug in. It comes to life! It fires up! Red led flashing quickly. Nothing in accompanying instructions to what that means and nothing in video. Head inside to check internet. Finally find info buried under Support topic. Means something wrong with WiFi antenna connection. Blast, I forgot to mount antenna to shelf. Decide to get app working on iPhone. Included instructions say to follow instructions in app. Open app, no instructions. Find instructions buried under Support topic on RECTEC website. App pita to setup. Get working. Back to porch, unplug grill, roll over drop cloth, back under grill, remove bottom cover, tape WiFi antenna to shelf, check connection at other end, good, reinstall bottom cover, crawl out from under, etc.
Red led still flashing quickly indicating something wrong. Going to call RecTec next day. On whim, try app. Connects fine, everything works. No problems.

That whole process took just over an hour. To my mind not bad as I was expecting worse given my limitations. If clear, accurate instructions for the installation and setting up the app and WiFi were supplied with the replacement controller I could have finished in 30 - 40 minutes. And that is my only criticism of RecTec. There were just to many places to go to try and find all the needed instructions.

I am really happy with with both of these upgrades. They have made a great grill even better. The app is cluttered while somewhat simplistic. It works so that is a big plus and because of the way I setup my router there were no WiFi issues.

If you have one of the older RecTec grills I can highly recommend both of there upgrades. And if I can successfully install them, you should be able too.
RecTec RT-680, WSM 18, MES30, Weber Genesis

julweidn

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Re: RT-680 Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 01:49:11 PM »

Congrats on the upgrade! I imagine you will really like the ability to control your grill from your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 02:21:26 PM »

All good information Keith..I am right in there with you in the age department and can relate... Now you can enjoy your pit even more.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 08:29:06 PM »

Rather than lying down and looking up, use a mirror and a light if required..The bad news is if there is work to be done on the underside, it is either lie down or move the pit onto its side after gutting the internals.

ArborAgent

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 01:37:57 AM »

One of the things I like about RecTec is that they've done a lot to make their grills age well.

If you had bought an original RT-680, the only upgrade the Bull has that you can't get is the stainless steel burn body.

You can upgrade the controller, the shelf the controller sits in, the fire pot, you can even get the black lid and the new legs will be available soon as an upgrade.

Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

KeithG

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 02:44:30 PM »

The one thing I hadn’t realized was that on Low, the fan cycles as well. I smoked a side of Copper River Sockeye Salmon yesterday and the pit sat there rock steady at 180. It was in the mid-80’s yesterday and the old controller would have had trouble holding less than 215 in those conditions, even after adjusting the min feed rate down. I’m thrilled with the new controller.
RecTec RT-680, WSM 18, MES30, Weber Genesis

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 09:47:54 PM »

It's a great upgrade.  They recently updated the app too.  The notifications work properly now. 

The one complaint I have is the probes.  They are not accurate and even after I calibrate them they somehow get out of whack again.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 11:07:48 PM »

It's a great upgrade.  They recently updated the app too.  The notifications work properly now. 

The one complaint I have is the probes.  They are not accurate and even after I calibrate them they somehow get out of whack again.

I have not had any luck with manufacturer probes built into the controller so I don't think its just Rec Tec.  I wonder if that's why it looks like MAK went with the K-style probes from ThermoWorks on their new controller.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

grilltreats

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 11:15:37 PM »

I am not having any issues with the new controller on my RT-700.  I calibrated the two probes with ice water probably 10 months ago.  They are spot on and both read the same as I check meats with a thermopen, too.  You might give RT a call about this.  Also, make sure the socket nuts are tight.
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 07:39:44 PM »

I have to get off my lazy xxx and install the new controller I bought for my 680 a while back for the intro price of $99.  Promised myself when the weather got better I would make the change.  I could come up with many excuses, fact is, just gotta get it done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up