Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wild Swine  (Read 7403 times)

CaptJerry

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Hold my beer and watch this
Wild Swine
« on: September 13, 2017, 07:49:16 PM »

I gave up. Can't get them tender, or even edible, with the exception, of the loin I can make it semi palatable.
Only other way is ground and make an imitation Jimmy Deans sausage.
Shoulders, hams, WAY to dry and stringy. Disgusting.

I'm open for suggestions.....

Coyotes won't eat em. Buzzards barely will. But will continue to killem and stackem.
Nasty critters but their domestic cousins sure are tasty.

If I have offended any PETA members please pm me so I can arrange for you to release the next one I trap

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
Re: Wild Swine
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:00:12 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:12:08 PM »

This is meant in all sincerity -- Andrew Zimmern has often shown wild hog hunts and kills and then they butcher and eat the meat.  I assume that is the same as wild swine.  Is he just lying about the stuff being good to eat or does the wild swine vary from region to region?

mowin

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:20:46 PM »

I'm sure it can vary greatly region to region, as well as gender and age and what they eat will effect taste.

I've never had wild hog, but would like to try it sometime.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:59:23 PM »

I always mess this up.  Lets post again and see if I am right?  Domestic pig (Hog), we all know, end of story.

Wild Swine and Wild Boar I there a difference?  You say...well I just thought a boar was a male hog?  I am told there are 10 species of pig.  So the pig is a domesticated wild boar (male).

So a pig is any domesticated swine under 125lbs, hog is same thing but over 125lbs and boar or wild boar is a wild pig or hog depending on weigh and sex.

So I have been no help on the original question...I have been told by half a dozen folks that if I ever have wild boar I will never want to go back to regular swine.  I now question those people.  And I have to believe diet has a great deal of influence on taste of meat!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

JimAZ

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 11:48:29 PM »

I'm in the same boat with CaptJerry.  I tried several different ways to prepare wild swine several years ago.  It was all awful, just too gamey.  I did have some success with having a moist cook, but not flavor.
Rec Tec Mini

CaptJerry

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 05:24:11 AM »

Boar is a male. Sow is female.
Around here, you hear them called wild pigs or wild hogs, wild boar.
By choosing swine, I covered all the nasty, destructive critters without being discriminating  :pig:

Extremely lean meat. Not enough meat on the ribs to bother with like a deer.
I've done them low and slow, hot and fast, always injected and always wind up with  :puke:
I've done young ones, old ones, males, females, spotted ones, solid colored ones, shot ones, trapped ones, smart ones and dumb ones.

As far as Andrew Z. I have a pair of sneakers I'm about to retire I'm sure he would find quite tasty  ;)

Reason behind this question is it's almost fall. Time to be spending more time in the woods and my fragile culinary ego can't endure
another failure.

Here is a prime example of what I thought was the perfect sized porker which was a epic failure. I would guess HER at 130-150 lbs.

CaptJerry

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 06:00:20 AM »

This is meant in all sincerity -- Andrew Zimmern has often shown wild hog hunts and kills and then they butcher and eat the meat.  I assume that is the same as wild swine.  Is he just lying about the stuff being good to eat or does the wild swine vary from region to region?

Good question. I'm going to set aside my opinion of Andrew Z and give this a minutes thought.
I hear others talking about how good wild swine is all the time. Good in regards to food is so subjective.
Reckon whenever I hear someone claiming to know what their doing cooking these beasts I must make myself available
to sample. Providing it's prepared with fire and not in a crock pot.

As far as region goes, this has merit to their food source.
Wild pigs are omnivores. Basic diet of my local area is acorns, grubs, bugs.
I would imagine if they had access to a corn or soybean field on a regular basis they may be tasty.
Smell is what wild pigs rely on to get by, which when you think of it is quite amazing considering how bad they smell.
How can they smell anything else?

We bait with corn and jello. Raspberry jello works best. No I'm not yanking anyones chain here. They love the smell of jello.
And no, you do not have to prepare the jello. Just dump a box with your corn and be prepared to have a root you can bury a
small SUV in.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 07:42:25 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I watch these shows and often think "How can all this stuff be so wonderful?"  But I suppose he could be getting hold of some wild boar that are in more of a farming area and eating more corn.  Or he could just be fibbing. Andrew really lost my interest on one show where he refused to eat SPAM saying it was the worst stuff around.  Ok, I like SPAM and some don't, but he showed a food snobbery and ignorance of the product that he claims he is above.  I feel the same way about Guy Fieri.  I think I have gone to 4 or 5 places he has visited and thought were great and I was disappointed in every one.

And thanks for hunting and killing those wild swine even though you can't eat it.  They are a really harmful to farmers and a hazard to people and you are doing the community a great service.

mowin

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 08:00:23 AM »

While the pigs we know came from true wild boar, they are much different. 

Wild boar(male or female) shouldn't be confused with wild feral hogs. Many states have a huge problem with wild feral hogs. These are basically the same pig we get from the supermarket, just wild.

Now from what I understand, at least from reading and talking to a few who have hunted both,  wild boar is good for sausage. Wild feral hogs, are better for chops, roasts ECT.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »

I don't want to get close to any of the swine permutations, even the little Peccary.  Once was enough.  It must have weighed 400 lbs. and was of bad disposition.  They should be shot from long range.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

CaptJerry

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »

I don't want to get close to any of the swine permutations, even the little Peccary.  Once was enough.  It must have weighed 400 lbs. and was of bad disposition.  They should be shot from long range.

With a large caliber weapon.

Mikro

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 07:25:40 PM »

A friend makes sausage out of them, he has to add fat (it's okay I guess?). My brother-in-law traps them and then fattens them up to get some somewhat decent meat. (That's subject to his opinion). Me, Shoot em and Forget em. Same thing with a javelina, nothing but flea infested PEST, all of them. :)
Just my  :2cents:
mk
Firecraft Q450
RecTec 590/Stampede
HomeBrew Upright/Vertical Pellet smoker

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 10:35:47 PM »

I killed a 130 pound boar and quartered it out and packed it into my brand new shiny RTIC cooler two years ago, by the time I made the 500 mile drive from the mountain valley back home it left a stank on that cooler no amount of bleach or power washing would remove.

The meat was frightful, no matter the cut or how I prepared it both the odor and taste were terrible my GSD's even gave it a delayed sniffing session before the taste test.

~Never again.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 11:00:53 PM »

The meat was frightful, no matter the cut or how I prepared it both the odor and taste were terrible my GSD's even gave it a delayed sniffing session before the taste test.

GSDs?  Shorthairs?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up