Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wild Swine  (Read 7399 times)

InThePitBBQ

Re: Wild Swine
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 11:17:30 PM »

The meat was frightful, no matter the cut or how I prepared it both the odor and taste were terrible my GSD's even gave it a delayed sniffing session before the taste test.

GSDs?  Shorthairs?

Shepherds, the German variety  ;D

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 09:18:17 AM »

Ok, non-hunter question here:  if you kill an animal, like a feral hog, are you allowed to simply leave it where it lays to be eaten by creatures or rot?  Around here, we have so many turkey vultures that anything dead does not make it long.

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 09:44:20 AM »

I killed a 130 pound boar and quartered it out and packed it into my brand new shiny RTIC cooler two years ago, by the time I made the 500 mile drive from the mountain valley back home it left a stank on that cooler no amount of bleach or power washing would remove.

The meat was frightful, no matter the cut or how I prepared it both the odor and taste were terrible my GSD's even gave it a delayed sniffing session before the taste test.

~Never again.

Does it depend on what they eat
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 12:47:36 PM »

Ok, non-hunter question here:  if you kill an animal, like a feral hog, are you allowed to simply leave it where it lays to be eaten by creatures or rot?  Around here, we have so many turkey vultures that anything dead does not make it long.

It varies, state to state on how feral hogs are classified under fish and game statute.

For an example, killing and leaving behind sanctioned game animals that require a hunter to attain a license for seasonal harvest such as deer or migratory birds would fall under statutes of wanton waste by willfully letting them lie without retrieving for consumption. While not all game animals can be retrieved in all cases it is incumbent on the hunter to make every effort to do so.

Say you shoot a deer, and it manages to cross a posted private property line and you consult the owner for permission to gain access to the property and the owners decline access, you then would have no further obligation to retrieve as that would constitute an act of willful trespass.

In the cases of vermin, feral hogs and some predators states can classify them as essentially a nuisance animal requiring no license or relaxed oversight for harvesting. I own quite a bit of property in Alabama, although the state classifies them as a game animal I can hunt them any day of the year on my property without a game license with no "harvest restrictions" essentially allowing you to do as you wish with the animal and take as many as you want.

Texas has similar laws for land owners, and non land owners simply need to have a hunting license in their possession. The main difference is in how states classify animals for the purposes of collecting licence fee's. Coveted game such as deer belong to the state, and destructive undesirable animals such as feral hogs belong to the land owners.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 12:52:37 PM »

Virginia is like this, no need for license, no seasonal restrictions.  So I can go kill Bambi or for that matter her mom or dad, anytime I want!

I own quite a bit of property in Alabama, although the state classifies them as a game animal I can hunt them any day of the year on my property without a game license with no "harvest restrictions" essentially allowing you to do as you wish with the animal and take as many as you want.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »

Virginia is like this, no need for license, no seasonal restrictions.  So I can go kill Bambi or for that matter her mom or dad, anytime I want!

I own quite a bit of property in Alabama, although the state classifies them as a game animal I can hunt them any day of the year on my property without a game license with no "harvest restrictions" essentially allowing you to do as you wish with the animal and take as many as you want.

Seriously? How dare Virginia not tow the line and assign ownership of deer to the state and refuse to levy fee's on hunters to take them in short windows of closed seasons!

Politically unconscionable if you ask me  ;) 

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 01:13:59 PM »

I think Bent means for property owners.  We can sit on the porch and shoot them as they cross our fields at any time, but those big city folks need to get a license and hunt in season.

Jcorwin818

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • 10th SFG (Lenexa, Ks)
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 06:57:43 PM »

I think Bent means for property owners.  We can sit on the porch and shoot them as they cross our fields at any time, but those big city folks need to get a license and hunt in season.

Unless you're a Senator or Congressman, they don't have to follow the laws.LOL
Traeger 075 Texas (USA) WSM 22" Weber Kettle Weber Spirit 310

GregW

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 08:23:39 PM »

The USDA has spent considerable time and effort to rid our domestic pork of parasites and diseases over the last 50 years.

Don't wild hogs have the parasites that have been eliminated from domestic pork? I assume that the wild hogs still are a carrier for them.

If this is true, how much of a concern is it? I know cooking the pork thoroughly would kill the parasites, but it still seems risky. 

CaptJerry

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 06:00:20 AM »

The USDA has spent considerable time and effort to rid our domestic pork of parasites and diseases over the last 50 years.

Don't wild hogs have the parasites that have been eliminated from domestic pork? I assume that the wild hogs still are a carrier for them.

If this is true, how much of a concern is it? I know cooking the pork thoroughly would kill the parasites, but it still seems risky.

As long as cooked and handled properly no worries.
I'm more concerned over whats in commercial food I purchase. Antibiotics, hormones, etc.
This is as organic as it gets.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 11:06:51 AM »

This is as organic as it gets.

I don't pay attention to the organic/inorganic debate, but your statement caused me to think, "Are they still 100% organic if they're eating genetically modified or pesticide sprayed crops?"
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 11:47:14 AM »

Define 100% organic and I will tell you...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »

GMOs do not fit within the definition of organic and animals that eat GMO foods are not allowed to be called organic.  But there are pesticides which are considered organic and can be used in organic farming.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 12:06:17 PM »

Define 100% organic and I will tell you...

Beats me.  That's why I asked.  Are they still, "[A]s organic as it gets"?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »

GMOs do not fit within the definition of organic and animals that eat GMO foods are not allowed to be called organic.  But there are pesticides which are considered organic and can be used in organic farming.

Ah, thanks, Kristin.  So a hog that is running around loose can't be automatically considered organic because we don't know what it's been eating.  Same must be true of all wild game; deer, rabbits, quail, pheasants...
Paul

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up