Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pulled the Trigger on 590  (Read 2777 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Pulled the Trigger on 590
« on: June 20, 2019, 08:44:28 AM »

After anguishing over the Smoke N Hot Eco, I decided to return it unopened (still sitting in local warehouse before delivery).  This was done without a hitch and full refund is in process. 
So I ordered the Stampede on Monday and it is on the move. Should get it Monday.  I purchased two 590's as a gift for my kids in fall of last year, and they have been extremely happy with them.  Will be happy to get q-ing again, as my GS has been cleaned and is on the market.  Will post it separately i :bbq: :bbq:n the Blaz'n section of PF.

grilltreats

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Pulled the Trigger on 590
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 08:59:45 AM »

After anguishing over the Smoke N Hot Eco, I decided to return it unopened (still sitting in local warehouse before delivery).  This was done without a hitch and full refund is in process. 
So I ordered the Stampede on Monday and it is on the move. Should get it Monday.  I purchased two 590's as a gift for my kids in fall of last year, and they have been extremely happy with them.  Will be happy to get q-ing again, as my GS has been cleaned and is on the market.  Will post it separately i :bbq: :bbq:n the Blaz'n section of PF.

What made you do that?  The Smoke N Hot Eco looks like a very nice pit.
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19

okie smokie

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 10:15:27 AM »

See under "All Other Pellet Manufacturers" .  I was concerned that the Eco is still in the stage of adjustments needed for problems encountered.  I think they have probably worked them out for the most part.  But I have decided just to go with a stainless (mostly) with a large and positive track record.  The 590 was my previous first pick. Plus it has WiFi included. Price range is the same. 

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 10:37:09 AM »

Congrats Okie.  I love my 590.  It's my first pellet pit and it's a year old.  Very satisfied with both the unit and the customer service.   
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

sharpstick

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 02:48:49 PM »

Congrats on the 590 Okie. I have the 700, added the Comp Cart and Cold Smoke Box and have been very happy with it. Also had the RT 680 prior and RecTec has always been great to deal with. I also have the 340 for at the lake.  I would have a hard time going to a different grill after using the RecTec products, just not sure if it gets any better. (From what I have seen but have not been reviewing since I bought these).
Anyways, enjoy your new grill and I look forward to your feedback, reviews and input.

Take care all.
SS
Have a Grillin Good Day!

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 02:50:28 PM »

Congrats, Okie! That’s a sharp looking unit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 04:34:07 PM »

I think you'll be happy with the REC TEK, okie.  They have a large and faithful following and the company seems to be innovative.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 11:15:46 PM »

Proven is proven...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 08:46:57 AM »

Not trying to reinvent the wheel is a good idea.. Let some ambitious other person go thru the growing pains of a "new" to the market pit..I would have to say I probably would have done the same thing as

you did...

okie smokie

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 10:13:12 AM »

Well it is here in Tulsa, but now have to wait for a local delivery service to arrange. Thanks for all the good wishes.   :)

Update: Monday between 11AM and 1PM. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 12:18:52 PM by okie smokie »

Mikro

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 07:24:44 PM »

I just got mine a few weeks ago. I am very pleased with it so far.

I spoke with Jacob in support today as I was questioning the reason behind the 50 second pellet dump after the 300 second cool down.He explained that it allowed to have fresh pellets vs some burnt pellets in the pot for the next startup. ?? I always clean my pot before the next startup so I see this as a waste of pellets in the overall but I understand it now. That being the only thing I see as a downfall for me I can live with it. :)

MK
Firecraft Q450
RecTec 590/Stampede
HomeBrew Upright/Vertical Pellet smoker

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 08:40:22 PM »

I spoke with Jacob in support today as I was questioning the reason behind the 50 second pellet dump after the 300 second cool down.He explained that it allowed to have fresh pellets vs some burnt pellets in the pot for the next startup. ?? I always clean my pot before the next startup so I see this as a waste of pellets in the overall but I understand it now. That being the only thing I see as a downfall for me I can live with it. :)

MK

I agree with you.  As long as the auger tube is full of pellets, it will not take long for the fire to start up without a need for pellets in the fire pot at startup.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 08:45:15 PM »

MK
Actually I have the same type of PID control in my GS and do not have the 50 second pellet drop. After a cook, I empty the fire pot (cause it is so easy to do without taking the grates out) and never had to put any pellets in for the next start up.. During the next start up the hot rod is programmed to stay on until enough pellets are in the pot for a good start up. Never had a non start up.
On the other hand my kids each have a Stampede and I assume they have the same shutdown with a 50 second pellet drop, and they only clean out after 3 or 4 short cooks and after each long low slow and have no problems with shutdown or start up.  I trust Rec TEc to have figured out what works best for their units. Those guys are intensely involved with their pits.  As for pellet waste, I don't believe there is waste either way, cause once started the PID only adds what is needed to get to the programmed temp.   Either way should be fine. Agree with Bar B Lew.

Mikro

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 10:35:14 AM »

MK
Actually I have the same type of PID control in my GS and do not have the 50 second pellet drop. After a cook, I empty the fire pot (cause it is so easy to do without taking the grates out) and never had to put any pellets in for the next start up.. During the next start up the hot rod is programmed to stay on until enough pellets are in the pot for a good start up. Never had a non start up.
On the other hand my kids each have a Stampede and I assume they have the same shutdown with a 50 second pellet drop, and they only clean out after 3 or 4 short cooks and after each long low slow and have no problems with shutdown or start up.  I trust Rec TEc to have figured out what works best for their units. Those guys are intensely involved with their pits.  As for pellet waste, I don't believe there is waste either way, cause once started the PID only adds what is needed to get to the programmed temp.   Either way should be fine. Agree with Bar B Lew.

I agree on all parts. I just wanted to know why and what purpose. Now I know from the Horses mouth. :)
mk
Firecraft Q450
RecTec 590/Stampede
HomeBrew Upright/Vertical Pellet smoker

okie smokie

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 09:19:35 PM »

Hope unit arrives early enough for me to construct, burn in, and do a bacon cook.  Will compare control temps with my Maverick grill probe.  at least for center grill temp during the burn in. (400*).   :bbq:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up