Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pulled the Trigger on 590  (Read 2787 times)

RanrocSmoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Pulled the Trigger on 590
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 05:46:55 AM »

Hope unit arrives early enough for me to construct, burn in, and do a bacon cook.  Will compare control temps with my Maverick grill probe.  at least for center grill temp during the burn in. (400*).   :bbq:
Very exciting! Remember pics! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 09:57:48 PM »

Got it a little later, so just finished the construction and burn in.  All is well except for two minor issues.  Probe A at the control has some obstruction in the plug hole, and will not accept the meat probes.  Probe B is fine.  Both meat probes were accurate within a degree or two.  I used my maverick grill probe at the center of my grates and at 400 and when it was stable, the Maverick measured 423 and 424. At 225* the center of the grates was at 234*.  I will talk to them tomorrow about changing the control to read more accurately,  I believe that is adjustment of the offset (OFS in adjustment #2).  Anyone done any of that?   I do believe my Maverick is very accurate (at least it has been).  I can check that tonight.   
Burn in otherwise good, with no problems with ash build up. (1 hour at 400 and 1 hour at 225).  What I noticed at 225 was that there was a lot of smoke both white and blue..
Also, could not get the WiFi to connect.  I think I need a signal booster.  I am not very interested in WiFi, but want it working anyhow.  So will bring that up tomorrow also. 
Overall, No significant problems and can start cooking tomorrow.  Plan a bacon bake. 

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:34:26 PM by okie smokie »

okie smokie

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 09:58:55 AM »

Called Rec Tec at 8:30 AM.  In five minutes the following was accomplished:
1.  They will send a new control panel because the Probe A socket is damaged.  7 plugs all color coded, easy to replace.
2.  I can adjust the temps but Adam advised against it.  He said the reading discrepancy is not as much as it appears.  The RTD is set on the average temp in the pit and that includes the whole surface of the grids as well as the space above.  He said "trust the grilll". He said I can adjust it if I want and no big deal but is confident that there is no need. I will follow his advice.
3.  WiFi won't connect.  He gave me a simple fix for that.

With service like that I am very happy. 
Bacon cook today.   :cool:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 11:20:47 PM by okie smokie »

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 10:25:44 AM »

Great to hear about their customer service! Good luck with the cooks!

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

okie smokie

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 11:30:39 AM »

WiFi fixed and works great.  Bacon is on at 350* will check at 30 minutes.  Thick cut Maple, only had a pound or so, but should be enough.  I like mine crisp but not burnt!  I believe this fan is an on/off type. Have not detected variable speeds as yet.

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 03:39:38 PM »

What was the wifi fix?  I also have a 590 and I can't get it to connect.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

okie smokie

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 04:00:39 PM »

He advised that the short arial inside (have to take the bottom off of hopper side) is taped to the wall.  He said untape it and let it dangle.  I have a netgear wifi booster in my network and after I went back into System on my iPhone and selected my WiFi with the ".ext" after the name on the wifi list, I had no problem, so did not have to do the above.
Bacon cook went well and had the best BLT ever for lunch. Only had 8 thick slices but that did the job. 
One note of caution.  Be sure the grill grates are level.  My porch causes my grill grates to drain to the back of the grill and then down the back support ledge where it drained off into the left corner of the barrel, then onto the bottom and leaked thru to drip on the ground. It was not the caulking that caused the leak. It was where the rivets that hold on the end cap of the barrel come thru the metal. These rivets do not seal themselves, and the bacon grease easily leaked thru in one place and then oozed out of the end cap on the bottom.  I completely cleaned those areas with rags and then with Goof Off (naphtha) and when dry applied 800* gray "make a gasket" to all of those rivets I could find.  In the meantime, I have found a level position to place the grill when doing a greasy cook. After a bacon cook, of course I had to do a thorough cleaning anyhow. If you use foil on the drip pan, the oily grease tends to puddle in spots anyhow.  BUT that was the best bacon ever. 

okie smokie

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 09:46:22 PM »

No pics of the cooked bacon--Sorry.  Here are the rivets that I caulked, (sloppy looking but worked well).

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 05:29:44 PM »

No pics of the cooked bacon--Sorry.  Here are the rivets that I caulked, (sloppy looking but worked well).

Did you let it cure before using (24 hrs I believe) or did you just wait the one hour to dry before using grill?

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

okie smokie

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 10:13:01 PM »

Have not used it since adding the caulk.  Decided to wait for the new control module. It has been delayed but should arrive tomorrow. I picked the Permatex gray because it is rated at 800* (100* more that the red).  I checked the new caulks today and they are hard and stuck tight.  If no problems with the replacement module , should take less than 1/2 hr to exchange, will be cooking tomorrow PM.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 10:29:18 PM by okie smokie »

okie smokie

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 10:59:57 AM »

Took the control out this AM. Took 5 minutes.  Found the problem with the socket for the A Probe.  There is a little spring steel tab that hold it in place.  That tab has is bent out into the canal and the probe cannot get past it.  It will not spring back out of the way.
Very impressed with the quality of the control module.  It is on a solid steel plate and neatly constructed. 
Also, the WiFi arial is glued in place and I would not suggest freeing it up at all.
Here is socket for probe A: Easy to see the reason for the obstruction.

okie smokie

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 04:17:41 PM »

Arrived at about 12:15PM and was in and working by 1 PM.  All is working now.  Ribs tomorrow. 

:clap: :cool: :clap:

okie smokie

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2019, 07:03:31 PM »

Ribs today. But WiFi would not come on at the Stampede control.  Called them. Their tech will fix me up on Monday. Meanwhile the 3:2:1 spares were awesome. done at 225*. Trimmed to St. Louis style, but cooked the chine as well. They were as good as I have done but the fat was all rendered as well. Tender to the bone.
Note the significant smoke ring.  Lots of smoke at 225.  Ribs had better smoke taste than on my Blaz'n (sold on Craigs List today).

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2019, 08:59:48 PM »

Look good.  Glad you are happy with the results.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2019, 09:46:24 PM »

Ribs look great!

Congrats on selling the Blazin'!
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up