Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Firecraft

Temperature Differential

(1/3) > >>

goosta:
Does anyone else have issues with a temperature differential on the Q-450? I find it variable depending on the weather of course, but I feel like the grill consistently thinks it's temperature is higher than it is.

This example is from a recent brisket cook. Outside temp at the time was around 80 I believe with low winds. My Smoke thermometer measured 233 and the grill said 260. I've also confirmed this issue w/ a second thermometer (Maverick).

Bentley:
I do not own one, but have had similar issues with different units.  As long as I could adjust the pit and it could hold the temperature I wanted, it never concerned me.  It was all about consistency.  If I had to set the pit at X to get Y I did not care as long as Y was consistent!

goosta:

--- Quote from: Bentley on June 20, 2019, 01:48:12 PM ---I do not own one, but have had similar issues with different units.  As long as I could adjust the pit and it could hold the temperature I wanted, it never concerned me.  It was all about consistency.  If I had to set the pit at X to get Y I did not care as long as Y was consistent!

--- End quote ---

That makes sense. That's what I have been doing too. I recently got the Smoke Gateway which logs the temp data and allows you to view a graph. I did notice a swing of about 15 - 25 degrees throughout the cook. Typically + or - from my target (225 in this case). Is that normal in your experience? I experienced a similar swing with my Bradley smoker. I'm sure it also just depends on the pit and how well insulated it is (among other factors).

Thanks!

Bar-B-Lew:
Lots of factors come into play and the controller probably being the biggest factor.  I am in Camp Bentley.  I set my controller to 250° and place a probe on the grate level.  If that reads something different than 250° after the grill has stabilized its set temp, I adjust the controller +/- until I get the grate temp where I want it.  It is usually good then.  After a while, you will know that X temp on the controller is usually Y temp at grate level and you don't have to mess around with a grate level probe any longer.

hughver:
Being off by 10% is not that bad. Most home ovens vary by more than that.  :2cents:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View