Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by glitchy on 27 Jun 2019
  • Pretty sure I am returning the Traeger Pro 575 this weekend. Not sure if or what I'm going to replace it with, but curious what you think the best pellet grill under $1000 is leaving out Traeger and GMG? RecTec, Camp Chef, Louisiana or another brand? Maybe I'll somehow stumble on a gently used PG500, but not likely.

Keep in mind this is a second pit, so 600 degrees, open flame, 1000 square inches are not necessities. A tailgate type of pit is not ruled out either as it provides travel options. I think I would like it to be compatible with the BBQ Hack Griddle though if I don't find the CookShack.
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 27 Jun 2019
  • People on one of he FB pages seem to really like the Grilla Line. I think I remember Bentley dong a test on a Pellet Pro unit on the other forum, and if I remember he spoke highly of it back then.
  • #3 by Bentley on 27 Jun 2019
  • I do not recall doing a PT of a Pellet Pro, but Larry might have.
  • #4 by okie smokie on 27 Jun 2019
  • Looks like it would (is) be the Rec Tec Stampede for my family.  We now have 3 of them.  I just received mine and it works great, except I found that the meat Probe #1 socket would not accept either of the meat probes. Socket B is fine.  So I called them and the service guy Adam said he would just send me another control module after we confirmed that there was some obstruction.  No fuss, no muss, no sweat.  That was Tuesday AM. It will be here today or tomorrow.  7 color coded plugs into the board, and that is it. 
    The construction is very good, the seams are caulked inside, control easy to set, and very PID accurate. Stainless barrel (octogon), grids, drip pan, deflector and fire pot.  Ceramic starter-should outlive both of us. WiFi included and free delivery.  I would also buy their cover, and the sear kit (GrillGrate 3 pack with spatula). That would be just over $1000 but IMO beats the competition.  Without the cover and GG's is it $899.  The GG's will get up to over 600* so you can do all the searing you would like, with no open flame risk.   :2cents:
  • #5 by glitchy on 28 Jun 2019
  • Thanks Okie! I’ve been watching your thread very closely on the 590. It looks like a nice pit. At this point, I’m reconsidering all options including even a PK, Napoleon, M1 or Weber Summit charcoal too. I love pellet grills, but have my Memphis and could put a Fireboard drive on a charcoal for less manual oversight when I needed to smoke on it. I’m still pretty surprised only Weber seems to offer the gas burner for starting though.

Contrary to how I may sound at times, I love my Memphis. I’d love to have a PG500 to go with it, but can’t really justify that much in pellet grills. I also like the summit charcoal, but struggle justifying its cost too. I do still prefer steaks over charcoal and I would like a grill that put the coals closer to the grate than my performer. I just also love the convenience of pellets and wish the Memphis wasn’t so susceptible to grease fires as I like to reverse sear or cook higher temp after smoking greasy meats and they’re resting. So much to decide...critical first world problems I guess. I might try a PK, it looks like maybe a better streak cooker and smoker than Performer, but no so good for a BBQ guru or Fireboard drive.
  • #6 by Canadian John on 28 Jun 2019

•  Just couldn't resist: A $999.99 grill.   I'll leave the real answers up to the others.
  • #7 by okie smokie on 28 Jun 2019

•  Just couldn't resist: A $999.99 grill.   I'll leave the real answers up to the others.

? ???
  • #8 by RanrocSmoker on 28 Jun 2019

? ???
    I think he means that $999.99 is under (sub) $1000, so those are the best ones. At least that’s how I interpreted it. And yes, I laughed when I read that LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #9 by okie smokie on 28 Jun 2019
  • Right on!
  • #10 by KrautBurner on 03 Nov 2019
  • IF I was looking for a sub $1K grill,   
    I'm pretty sure I'd go for an OG or maybe a SilverBack  (both from https://grillagrills.com )

a regular SilverBack can be had for $649 (free shipping)
    but I'd go for the SilverBack Alpha for $799 (still free shipping)   https://store.grillagrills.com/products/silverbac-alpha

I'd probably add:
     - Add a Cover - $59.99
     - Add a Rack Extension - $24.99
    Easy to install, 1/4 inch stainless rack allows for even more valuable cooking space.
     - Add a Silverbac Accessory Pack - $49.99
    This Pack includes: 2 Rack Jacks, 1 Lid Deflector, 1 Front Edge Grease Catch. 304 Stainless Steel.
     - Add a Front Shelf - $94.99
    Provides additional work space for prepping and plating your food.

TOTAL of $1030 (shipped)

and maybe
    Made to last 100% black denier heavy-duty grill cover.
      Add a Grill Grate (18.8”) - $94.99

I personally would probably go for the OG (Original Grilla) ALPHA $849
    and :
     Add a Cover - $59.99
    Made to last 100% black denier heavy-duty grill cover.
      Add a Rack Extension - $49.99
    Easy to install, 1/4 inch stainless rack allows for even more valuable cooking space
      Add Grill Pro Wheels $59.99

for a total of $1020
    (shipped)

if you really NEED to keep the total below $1K
    just drop one accessory off of either list

good luck

(BTW,
    I've been looking for a while,   my next grill will likely be a Yoder or RecTec (but they are both out of the specified price range))
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Nov 2019
  • I've had grill covers from 3 different pellet grill manufacturers and they are all over priced and lack the quality of their price.
  • #12 by KrautBurner on 04 Nov 2019
  • I've had grill covers from 3 different pellet grill manufacturers and they are all over priced and lack the quality of their price.

the grill cover for my Traeger BBQ124 is pushing 18 years old
    I think it's holding up pretty well

too bad it can not be replaced
  • #13 by yorkdude on 04 Nov 2019
  • Probably many will think I have lost it. I don’t hi temp, sear etc on them. I swear by GMG, fantastic Customer service, consistently good performance etc. I have looked at most of the others, for us and how we use them they have always done great. I have been tempted many times but just can’t find anything for the $ that can beat em. We have cooked/smoked very easily hundreds of pounds of food on them.  :2cents:
  • #14 by Brushpopper on 04 Nov 2019
  • I like my GMG DB also.  It's a second hand 2011 model with the upgraded wifi controller.  Only thing I would get different is a PG 500.  That was my first choice but can't convince the wife when the GMG still works.  I missed a good deal on PG 500 on craigslist.  Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulder over it DavidN!!  :'(
  • #15 by saltandpepper on 18 Nov 2019
  • Thanks Okie! I’ve been watching your thread very closely on the 590. It looks like a nice pit. At this point, I’m reconsidering all options including even a PK, Napoleon, M1 or Weber Summit charcoal too. I love pellet grills, but have my Memphis and could put a Fireboard drive on a charcoal for less manual oversight when I needed to smoke on it. I’m still pretty surprised only Weber seems to offer the gas burner for starting though.

Contrary to how I may sound at times, I love my Memphis. I’d love to have a PG500 to go with it, but can’t really justify that much in pellet grills. I also like the summit charcoal, but struggle justifying its cost too. I do still prefer steaks over charcoal and I would like a grill that put the coals closer to the grate than my performer. I just also love the convenience of pellets and wish the Memphis wasn’t so susceptible to grease fires as I like to reverse sear or cook higher temp after smoking greasy meats and they’re resting. So much to decide...critical first world problems I guess. I might try a PK, it looks like maybe a better streak cooker and smoker than Performer, but no so good for a BBQ guru or Fireboard drive.

What did you get in the result (sorry if I missed any updates)?

If you're still looking for something under $1000 (and traegers are not an option), then I'd go with Rec-tec. We bought RT-700 (warranty is 6 years and the customer support is unmatched) for my father two years ago, and that's a great tool to work with so you can focus on food prep rather than fire management. Like, it is a quality cooker with lots of thought put into it. I would recommend it to anyone looking at pellet grills for the first time. Dad is pretty happy with it.
    Though is not in the same class as the others, especially since you're eyeballing PG500.

As I guess - especially since you're considering M1 and Weber Summit charcoal - you decided to stretch your budget.
    I wanted to smoke, not grill, so I chose the Mak 1-star (~$1700 delivered when I bought it) - I think it has the best controller, it is plenty smokey so I don't need to supplement with smoke tubes. I don't care about grilling because I use my Weber for that, and the build quality is great.

Though I can't decide for you. Just wanted to add my two cents and ask for any updates.
Pages:
Actions