Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Which Pit Should I Choose?

What's the best sub $1000 pellet grill

(1/4) > >>

glitchy:
Pretty sure I am returning the Traeger Pro 575 this weekend. Not sure if or what I'm going to replace it with, but curious what you think the best pellet grill under $1000 is leaving out Traeger and GMG? RecTec, Camp Chef, Louisiana or another brand? Maybe I'll somehow stumble on a gently used PG500, but not likely.

Keep in mind this is a second pit, so 600 degrees, open flame, 1000 square inches are not necessities. A tailgate type of pit is not ruled out either as it provides travel options. I think I would like it to be compatible with the BBQ Hack Griddle though if I don't find the CookShack.

BigDave83:
People on one of he FB pages seem to really like the Grilla Line. I think I remember Bentley dong a test on a Pellet Pro unit on the other forum, and if I remember he spoke highly of it back then.

Bentley:
I do not recall doing a PT of a Pellet Pro, but Larry might have.

okie smokie:
Looks like it would (is) be the Rec Tec Stampede for my family.  We now have 3 of them.  I just received mine and it works great, except I found that the meat Probe #1 socket would not accept either of the meat probes. Socket B is fine.  So I called them and the service guy Adam said he would just send me another control module after we confirmed that there was some obstruction.  No fuss, no muss, no sweat.  That was Tuesday AM. It will be here today or tomorrow.  7 color coded plugs into the board, and that is it. 
The construction is very good, the seams are caulked inside, control easy to set, and very PID accurate. Stainless barrel (octogon), grids, drip pan, deflector and fire pot.  Ceramic starter-should outlive both of us. WiFi included and free delivery.  I would also buy their cover, and the sear kit (GrillGrate 3 pack with spatula). That would be just over $1000 but IMO beats the competition.  Without the cover and GG's is it $899.  The GG's will get up to over 600* so you can do all the searing you would like, with no open flame risk.   :2cents:

glitchy:
Thanks Okie! I’ve been watching your thread very closely on the 590. It looks like a nice pit. At this point, I’m reconsidering all options including even a PK, Napoleon, M1 or Weber Summit charcoal too. I love pellet grills, but have my Memphis and could put a Fireboard drive on a charcoal for less manual oversight when I needed to smoke on it. I’m still pretty surprised only Weber seems to offer the gas burner for starting though.

Contrary to how I may sound at times, I love my Memphis. I’d love to have a PG500 to go with it, but can’t really justify that much in pellet grills. I also like the summit charcoal, but struggle justifying its cost too. I do still prefer steaks over charcoal and I would like a grill that put the coals closer to the grate than my performer. I just also love the convenience of pellets and wish the Memphis wasn’t so susceptible to grease fires as I like to reverse sear or cook higher temp after smoking greasy meats and they’re resting. So much to decide...critical first world problems I guess. I might try a PK, it looks like maybe a better streak cooker and smoker than Performer, but no so good for a BBQ guru or Fireboard drive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View