Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ZCZ on 29 Jun 2019
  • Zinnias are blooming

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Nasturtiums are busting out all over

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by ZCZ on 29 Jun 2019
  • After watching Bentley’s thread on the Griddle Hack I had the idea of doing something similar on my Pro. I have a round cast iron griddle and thought I’d try doing Philly cheese steaks.

Will use the Direct Flame Insert which sits directly above the burn pot

[ Invalid Attachment ]

In place

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #3 by ZCZ on 29 Jun 2019
  • Griddle in place and ready to rock

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Grill set to 220. I let it come up to temp with the lid closed

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #4 by ZCZ on 29 Jun 2019
  • Using a combination of butter and olive oil. Let the griddle temp rise until the butter & oil looks about right. Bumped the temp up to 240 for a little more heat. I do not have a hand held laser for surface temp.

Looks about right for adding the sliced onions & peppers

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #5 by ZCZ on 29 Jun 2019
  • Looking good so far

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Here is a short video cooking the onions & peppers

https://youtu.be/R-Yw_NHCBQc
  • #6 by ZCZ on 29 Jun 2019
  • Griddle temp is working quite well. I moved the peppers to the side and added the steak strips.

Using thin cut Sirloin

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Here is a short video adding the steaks

https://youtu.be/HDuZR1Xoja0
  • #7 by ZCZ on 29 Jun 2019
  • Time for the finishing touches. Piled the peppers on top of the meat and added thinly sliced Swiss Cheese. Placed the buns face down and closed the lid to melt the cheese.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Plated up

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #8 by ZCZ on 29 Jun 2019
  • The sandwiches were DELICIOUS. The added touch of Penzy’s Steak Seasoning added extra flavor.  All in all everything worked perfectly. Was not sure if I would have a raging inferno with the open hood but everything cooked evenly at a steady pace. Will have to try breakfast, etc in the days ahead.
    Thanks for watching.
    Z
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jun 2019
  • As an owner of a Memphis grill and an owner of a more rectangle griddle, I am very interested in you experimenting on behalf of us.  Your initial sample looks great.  If I can do that with another grill that I own and equipment that I own, it opens up new possibilities.  Keep us informed.  Love that folks on here are not afraid to experiment.  BTW, have always loved your flower pics.  Be sure to get some super shots of hummingbirds on the flowers when you move to Cali. ;D
  • #10 by Bentley on 29 Jun 2019
  • I would eat it!  Did you end up leaving the beef slices whole or kind of chop them on the flat top?  How did you like the Swiss?
  • #11 by ZCZ on 29 Jun 2019
  • I would eat it!  Did you end up leaving the beef slices whole or kind of chop them on the flat top?  How did you like the Swiss?

Left them in strips, not chopped. They were a little chewy in places. Rib Eye would have been my first choice but in my local Cub they were $15.99/lb.  The cut I used was $7.99 I think. Next time in Costco when I pick up Rib Eye I will set one aside, slice it thin and make these again.

My wife and I both like Swiss so we thought it was very good. Probably our favorite cheese.
  • #12 by Kristin Meredith on 30 Jun 2019
  • Nicely done Al!  Can't wait to see your breakfast experiment.  I am with Lew, I just love to see folks step out there and show all the great aspects of their pits.
  • #13 by Canadian John on 30 Jun 2019

•  So it's a "Memphis/Blackstone" - super set-up!
  • #14 by yorkdude on 30 Jun 2019
  • Those look really good, thanks for sharing.
  • #15 by ZCZ on 30 Jun 2019
  • Definitely need more meat per sandwich next time.
Pages:
Actions