Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cast Iron Griddle  (Read 285 times)

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
Cast Iron Griddle
« on: July 03, 2019, 05:36:44 PM »

I have a two burner cast iron griddle that we got with our gas stove top I've never used in seven years.  I plan on searing a T bone tomorrow after smoking for a long time in the GMG.  How hot can I get it without having it crack?  I have a laser thermometer thanks to my neighbor and of course I've been checking everything with it.  Nothing better than a free brand new second hand toy!  (Except maybe a free beer)  :beer:
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Brushpopper

Re: Cast Iron Griddle
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 05:39:44 PM »

Forgot to mention I'm going to put it directly on my fish fryer grate.

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 05:52:22 PM »

Read a number of articles about using a self cleaning oven to strip a cast iron pan. That would be about 900 Degrees.

I have never tried it so I can't vouch for it.

Also the seasoning would burn off of the pan at temp so I doubt you would want to go that high.
FE PG 1000

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 08:06:12 AM »

Cast iron is subsumable to thermo shock. That means heat-up and cool-down slowly, if not it may warp or crack..Cast iron can take extremely high heat. An example would be a heat deflector used in my

kamado. The charcoal fire is over 750º+... Any cast iron should be heated-up with the pit or flame from cold. Once it starts to heat, crank on the heat..Cool-down; just let it cool gradually..

High temperatures, say over 450º will burn the seasoning off requiring re seasoning...I find 425ºish to be a good temperature to cook a steak on C I.  Let us know the outcome please.

Brushpopper

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 11:52:53 AM »

Cast iron is subsumable to thermo shock. That means heat-up and cool-down slowly, if not it may warp or crack..Cast iron can take extremely high heat. An example would be a heat deflector used in my

kamado. The charcoal fire is over 750º+... Any cast iron should be heated-up with the pit or flame from cold. Once it starts to heat, crank on the heat..Cool-down; just let it cool gradually..

High temperatures, say over 450º will burn the seasoning off requiring re seasoning...I find 425ºish to be a good temperature to cook a steak on C I.  Let us know the outcome please.

Thanks Canadian John!  I cleaned it up and re-seasoned it, so I should be good to go.  Made the house stink a little, but no one here but me and the dogs.  I was thinking I wouldn't go much over 400 but 425 sounds perfect.  I've never tried it before but now that I have the laser thermometer I can tell where I'm at.  I always like to heat stuff up slow no matter what I'm cooking on. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up