Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: From fish to bacon, a ranking of meats in order of healthiness  (Read 590 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.

This is taken from an article in the Washington Post by Jenna Birch.  May have to do a poll based on this!

Healthiest to least healthy

Jenna Birch talked with experts to offer general guidance on which meats and cuts of meat are the best for you. Here’s what they said.

KIND OF MEAT                                                    DETAILS
Fish/seafood/shellfish                      Wild Alaskan salmon, oysters and sardines are highest in healthy fats; white fish such as
                                                        cod or flounder tend to be leaner.

Turkey                                           White meat has slightly less saturated fat than dark. Turkey is fairly comparable to
                                                        chicken in nutrients, but both its dark and white meat are slightly leaner.

Chicken                                             White meat has slightly less saturated fat than dark; skinless, boneless breast is
                                                        leanest.

Bison                                            Super-lean, lower in fat than other red meat.

Pork                                                  Look for loin cuts like tenderloin or top loin, which are typically leaner.

Beef                                                Round or sirloin are leaner cuts; flank steak is typically pretty lean; T-bones, rib-eyes,
                                                       New York strip steak are higher in saturated fats.

Lamb                                          Loin, shank and leg cuts are leanest; some cuts of lamb are slightly higher in calories
                                                       than beef, but you can typically trim fat from the edges to make them leaner.

Processed meat                                Bacon, hot dogs and sausage are all high in saturated fat and often made with chemicals
                                                      considered carcinogenic to humans.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: From fish to bacon, a ranking of meats in order of healthiness
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 09:25:04 AM »

Unfortunately for me, probably 75% of what I eat is processed meat or beef.  I enjoy chicken, pork, and turkey, but don't eat them often enough.  Will not eat fish, but take my 4 grams of prescription fish oil everyday  ;D
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

David

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 11:26:29 AM »

Looks like I don't eat very healthy because when I buy red meat I look for the most marbling and fat I can find. I have even been grinding my own burger and pork so I can put more fat in it
Memphis Elite Smoking Brothers 24 in Premier

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 01:05:36 AM »

When I go out to get steak I will normally order a sirloin since they are fairly low calorie. As much as I like ribeyes, I don't need the 1,400 calories.

I am eating much more fish since I discovered a market with excellent deals. I buy it and cook it the same night.

I usually get a collection of whatever they have available. It is usually a really mixed fish grill.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:07:07 AM by Hank D Thoreau »

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 08:21:28 AM »

The whole gamut minus, Lamb and Bison..Everything we eat or drink' is carcinogenic to some degree..

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 10:45:55 AM »

The whole gamut minus, Lamb and Bison..Everything we eat or drink' is carcinogenic to some degree..
They should publish the actual stats.  Risk is actually small and sometimes infinitesimally small. I will try to do some of the math and see. 

okie smokie

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 12:16:00 PM »

Can't find good stats on smoked vs non-smoked.  Or meat vs vegetarian.  Vegetarians definitely live longer all around but they are also have healthier life styles.  I will keep looking for enlightenment but meanwhile be moderate in my dietary extremes.   
I am beef, pork, chicken and lamb in the preference category.  Need to do more fish on the pit.  :2cents:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:43:13 PM by okie smokie »

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 03:43:52 PM »

A good rule of thumb if you want to improve your diet is to cut out bacon and biscuits and gravy. If you can make that small step then you can probably go the rest of the way.

okie smokie

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 05:10:12 PM »

A good rule of thumb if you want to improve your diet is to cut out bacon and biscuits and gravy. If you can make that small step then you can probably go the rest of the way.
But! But! Can I just eat those things until I just need glasses?  Did you just say "small step"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up